Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#139559 02/16/05 07:01 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
if you grow weary of the contentious, querulous nature of posts in the Q&A Forum, come on down to Miscellany for some fresh, new discussions -- some of them about words!

/end parody

(why did that come off looking like some sort of raid?!)
: )

/end humorous aside

T
veteran
veteran
T
Ok I will, tswum, although I like a good wrestle. But let me tell you, your stuff had better be damn good.

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
/sotto voce

no fair, milum. you've been there all along and you know it's all just more drivel.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Well...it had better be good drivel.

D
D
‘Good’ drivel? No thanks. Only V.S.O.P. drivel for me!

#139564 02/17/05 02:09 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
?

#139565 02/17/05 03:21 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(hic)-excuse me...
brandy drinkers know, VSOP is a designation for fine brandy.

i prefer cognac.

#139566 02/17/05 03:34 AM
D
D
V.S.O.P.: Very Superior Old Pale

Here’s a link to a page that describes V.S.O.P. and how the Cognac came to have this designation.

http://www.beerliquors.com/buy/liquors/hennessy.htm

I’ve also seen V.S.O.P. on bottles of balsamic vinegar.

#139567 02/17/05 04:02 AM
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
In reply to:

VSOP is a designation for fine brandy.

i prefer cognac.

Sorry, but that makes no sense - VSOP is a designation for certain cognacs, and at least some armagnacs. So, one cannot say that one prefers cognac to VSOP, as if the two were mutually exclusive, since many cognacs are VSOP.

#139568 02/18/05 01:04 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I've had an excellent cognac with VSOP on the label--and a sketch of Napolean, I think...or was that a brandy? Oh, geez. I guess I had too much to remember. Ah! It was Courvoisier. Is that a cognac? Whatever it was, it was wonderful.

#139569 02/18/05 09:44 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
> I’ve also seen V.S.O.P. on bottles of balsamic vinegar.

I went to a restaurant a little while ago that serves balsamic vinegar with salads, soups, and even on desserts. They drip it with a pipet from a small barrel at your table. Tastes good, but not good enough to purchase it from the restaurant for around US $250-300 a litre. I think it's about 20-25 years old.

#139570 02/18/05 11:17 AM
P
veteran
veteran
P
I have an "off topic post". But it's off topic so I'm going to post it somewhere else.

Just kidding, tsuwm. I think people should post anywhere they want. As long as they're havin' fun. And not hurtin' anyone.

BTW where's the best place to post a "WARNING"? In "Information and Announcements"? Or somewhere below the fold?

Or somewhere people are likely to read it?

Looks like people are having fun posting stuff about "V.S.O.P." here. Should we ask them to pack up their posts and leave?

This isn't a "WARNING" tsuwm. It's just a friendly reminder that some rules are more often respected in the breach than in the observance. Even by you. :)

Don't get me wrong, tsuwm. I don't have anything against rules. I just think they should make sense. And they ought to apply to everyone.

And I also think some rules are more important than other rules. Like the Golden Rule. That would be worth posting on top of your "WARNING", wouldn't it?

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

I don't have anything against rules. I just think they should make sense. And they ought to apply to everyone.

I agree with oftroy to this extent, plutarch: you don't seem to like a direct question.

But here's a direct question for you, plutarch:

What do you have, plutarch, against a little organization on the board; some GUIDELINES, as it were, to help people navigate this torrent of drivel?

Since the very start, plutarch, when folks (just ordinary users of the forum, plutarch) tried to establish guidelines here, there have been only two people who have railed against this practice.

(The practice of having RULES OF CONDUCT, I might add, is backed up through enforcement at moderated forums. We don't have rules of conduct, plutarch, because we *know they're unenforceable here at this unmoderated board.)

This, now, plutarch, is going to be a rhetorical question, aimed at everyone. so, plutarch, you don't need to answer; but feel entirely free to do so, plutarch.

Why is it that the two people who have railed against our guidelines and the way we enforce(??) them here have both been lawyers?

But don't forget, plutarch, about that first question up there. I put it in blue so you could keep track of it amidst all of this other drivel.

:) :-) :-D <just kidding> *<8^) <BG> <lawyer joke>

edit: oops. I guess I should have put this entire post in Wordplay and Fun.

#139572 02/18/05 02:26 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
I guess I should have put this entire post in Wordplay and Fun.

Maybe you're right, tsuwm. At least it would have been more fun there.

re "I put it in blue so you could keep track of it amidst all of this other drivel."

Let's get one thing clear, tsuwm. I didn't say what you wrote is "drivel". You did.

#139573 02/18/05 02:35 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Man this guy's a fruitcake.

P
veteran
veteran
P
In light of B-Y's "fruitcake" remark, which I assume he didn't direct at me [just kiddin', B-Y], I would like to add one thing:

If you or anyone else would like to have a serious onscreen discussion about the rules without casting aspersions against "stupid" lawywers or anyone else, and without the assumption of priestly airs and prerogatives, then I would be happy to participate in any such discussion.

In fact, I would be happy to participate in any serious discussion at all which is focused on the issues and not on personalities.

#139575 02/18/05 03:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
http://maxqnzs.com/Hints.html

If you're not, again, I can suggest many other fora where your rambling input might be less unappreciated.

#139576 02/18/05 03:17 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
you insist on calling them rules, plutarch. have you ever read our guidelines? ASp has provided a helpful link, just above.

edit - by the way, just for those that might not have noticed, in this excerpt from above:

I didn't say what you wrote is "drivel". You did.

the "You did" was added as an afterthought. must have been treppenwitz I guess.

#139577 02/18/05 03:32 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
It was very thoughtful of you and ASp to provide a link to some rules or guidelines which you consider useful. I'll make a point of going there sometime soon.

In the meantime, tsuwm, the real issue here is not the "rules" or "guidelines" per se, but who gets to decide when they apply and when they don't apply, and who gets to interpret them for all the rest of us.

I have edited my earlier post to clarify this point. I have italicized the part which I have added.

If you or anyone else would like to have a serious onscreen discussion about the rules without casting aspersions against "stupid" lawywers or anyone else, and without the assumption of priestly airs and prerogatives as though you are the font of wisdom from which they spring and the exclusive diviner of when they should apply and when they should not, then, under those circumstances, where we can all speak as equals, I would be happy to participate in any such discussion.

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I'll make a point of going there sometime soon.

What do you have, plutarch, against a little organization on the board; some GUIDELINES,
as it were, to help people navigate this torrent of drivel?

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> aspersions against "stupid" lawywers

Since this is a forum about language, I thought I might mention that tsuwm's header did not say that - if that is what he had meant he might have used a construction like Stupid Lawyers' Tricks or even, to make it more personal, Stupid Lawyer's Tricks. In the words aptually used the sense is Tricks (subset: the Stupid ones) played by Lawyers.

Now, having got my OWP out of the way, can I suggest that everyone takes a deep breath and steps back? Whilst I think I understood the layers of subtleties in tsuwm's original post (just proving yet again with masterly style that Some Americans Do Lotsa Irony!) I do not believe prolonging this navel-gazing will be productive for anyone. The endless sniping and bitching all around is tedious in the extreme to any non-combatants. Please take it off the board - pm, or elsewhere.

SADLI® maverick entireprizes unlimited 2005

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,374
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 162 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith