Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
"But when everything, every single thing is strange, it takes forever to make things familiar." Bradbury

This is a great quote from one of Bradbury's short stories. He's writing about life on a different planet, but it struck me how this is sometimes true when reading what certain people write. You read a paragraph, but your frame of reference is nil. Perhaps it is a technical area in which you have little or no expertise, or perhaps you're reading about an environment that is completely new to you with new, complicated vocabulary. Or it could be someone's way of expression that is so convoluted that you have to read what's written several times before you move from what was strange to a level of understanding. It could even apply to a political point of view that seems so strange that it is hard to make it feel familiar.

Anyway, I like the Bradbury quote, simple at first in how it's stated, but really reverberating in the depths and very applicable to a variety of situations. I would say that empathetic capacity involves a willingness to make the strange, familiar.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I would say that empathetic capacity involves a willingness to make the strange, familiar.
That's a beautiful phrase, a prayer, a way of life, a state of grace to strive for.
May I quote you?

B
old hand
old hand
B
> I would say that empathetic capacity involves a willingness to make the strange, familiar.

Sure but...familiarity also breeds contempt.

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion - F. Bacon

P
veteran
veteran
P
That's a beautiful phrase, a prayer, a way of life, a state of grace to strive for.

Yes, it is provocative, Owlbow.

Arthur C. Clarke also said something profound about "strange" but it turns out it wasn't Clarke who first said it [as Clarke himself acknowledges in this interview with "Wired" magazine in 2003 - the 25th Anniversary of "2001: A Space Odyssey"]:

I'm always paraphrasing J.B.S. Haldane: "The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it's stranger than we can imagine."

In the same interview, Arthur Clarke also said something "strange" which gives us an insight into his own mind:

Though Clarke generally despises interviews, he was excited about appearing in Wired - although he wryly insisted, after looking over the premier issue of the magazine, that "a crucial letter in the title has been transposed."

Arthur Clarke On Life
Wired, July/August 2003 [Sri Lanka]

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1.03/clarke_pr.html

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i read, one of success of humans, is they, unlike other animals, do not suit themselves to an environment, but rather, create environments that suit them (from materials at hand.)

i think too, humans have an amazing capacity to accept new environments--and to quickly come to terms coping with them.

We have all seen photo's of flooded areas, where hours after the flood, the main road of town, instead of being a street, has become a 'channel'--and out of 'no where '--well, in reality, out of garages, and sheds, and other outbuilding--have come canoes, rowboats, inflatables, and small outboarders, and now the police are cruising in boats..as it it was the most normal thing..

and, in somes it is! it becomes the new normal for the duration of the flood, and then roads go back to being roads, and the police go back to driving cruisers. we switch between one mode of normal, into another, and back again, almost easily.
on the fateful day in september a few years ago, there was very little panic. thousand of people, evacuated from buidings and headed 'away' (my building was a 1/4 mile away and evacuated).--

subways weren't running nor for the mostpart, buses. bridges and tunnels were closed. there wasn't any panic, just a steady, somber parade of people moving north. (about the only way you could go!)

people talked with each other, and interacted, in quiet ways.

NYers' have dealt with blackouts, and other disasters before.. no one looks forward to a 15 mile walk home.. but we trudge along, accustom to the fact that things break down, in a rather catastrofic way, if not regularly, at least several times in one lifetime.

that day was perhaps a 1000 year experience--just as floods are measured in such likelyhoods--with a certain level of flooding occurs every 10 years, every 100 years or so there is an exceptional flood, and every 1000 years, a flood beyond all known proportion.

just as people who live near rivers learn to live with floods, so, NYers learn to live with 'unusual' inconvienences.

D
D
Thank you for your insight, Helen. I especially like your line: “people talked with each other, and interacted, in quiet ways.” It strikes me as a wonderful string of words.

T
veteran
veteran
T
What rare insight Wordwind! Familiarity is a fundamental necessity of living, ergo, we must become familiar with our sensorial environment in order to move about it and eat and reproduce. But then your further extrapolation from Bradbury's sentence was just brilliant, viz. Or it could be someone's way of expression that is so convoluted that you have to read what's written several times before you move from what was strange to a level of understanding. It could even apply to a political point of view that seems so strange that it is hard to make it feel familiar.

Every man's conflict: The need to go through life surrounded by the familiar chant of the in-group, and the equal need to find new understandings about yourself and life by seeking out the strange.

It ain't easy to develop a taste for Beethoven when all your friends dig rap and hip hop.

#139498 02/16/05 09:25 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
"The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it's stranger than we can imagine."

...for to make a claim about what we can't imagine is to that degree to imagine it.

#139499 02/16/05 11:43 PM
T
veteran
veteran
T
Your logic is faulty, inselperer, consider the meaning of "imagine".

To imagine is to regroup pieces of the the known Universe into arrangements never before made by you and maybe not by any other man...at this time. We cannot imagine otherwise.

But to imagine that there will come things that will then allow us to imagine differently is not imagining the actuality of it but is only hypothesizing that we can't imagine the strange world ahead with our present set of imaginators. (I made the word "imaginators" up, but you known what I mean.)

#139500 02/17/05 02:00 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I would say that empathetic capacity involves a willingness to make the strange, familiar.

I like this sentence.

I do beleive that we do need a little strange in our life, or else, it would be tedious. I think it is the constant exposure to different and new that keeps us growing mentally and emotionally.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,342
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 491 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith