Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ms. J, I just PM'd the manual for this to Ww. If she finds it helpful atall, perhaps she could post same here. or if you can tolerate the MS/IE Help manual, open up the manual (click Help | Contents and Index) and go to Customizing Your Brower: Change the appearance of the Windows toolbar.

but to answer your question, you could have a button for any site you visit alot up there in the grey. I have buttons for OneLook, AWAD, OED and (whoda thunk) wwftd.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Here's what tsuwm sent me and it worked without a hitch. Thanks, tsuwm!

"so you've got IE, right?

1. right click (however you do that with optical mouse) in the toolbar area (the grey area up top with all the other buttons) you should see a pull-down menu that looks like this:
/ Standard Buttons
/ Address Bar
/ Links
Radio

if Links is not checked, select it (left click), and when you right click the toolbar again Links should be checked.

2) now, somewhere on the toolbar there should be a separated field labeled "Links", which comes and goes with the menu selection you've just played with. There may or may not be clickable buttons displayed next to it -- most likely not unless someone has changed settings for you since you got your system.

3) If there are buttons on the toolbar that you never use you can delete them by right-clicking ON THE BUTTON itself, which gives you another pull-down menu with a Delete option. This holds for any of the buttons in the grey area -- if you never use them you can pretty confidentally get rid of them; they're just taking up space you could use for better stuff. NOTE: Should you accidentally delete a button that you find that you need, it's easily recovered.

4) now for the good stuff; and it's pretty simple. In order to create a new button for (say) OneLook, just go to OneLook.com. Next to the address (it's in the Address box! :) you should see an icon to the left of the Address. Left-click that icon and without releasing the mouse button drag that sucker right over next to the Link field. et viola!" ~ tsuwm

Edit: I just took the five sites I visit regularly and dragged each over to the links. Super. It's like having a very Highly Favored Favorites in one place without having to scroll down. Great.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I like my nescience

I always said you were a nice girl, Jackie.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
for those of you on Mac OSX, using Safari, there's a great little freeware add-on called "Acid Search". I'll see if I can find an url, but here's a screenshot of what it does. I can double click a word and do a right-click search of just about anywhere, including OneLook. pretty neat.

http://www.rogergrow.com/image/acidsearchsm.jpg

here's the url for AcidSearch:
http://www.pozytron.com/acidsearch

formerly known as etaoin...
#138599 02/10/05 12:03 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> tsuwm, did you give some of us this title as a recommendation [...]?

[whistling...]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
WOW; I just got rid of a bunch of stuff I never use. I was puzzled by a link called "Top Sites", having never seen this before (I only discovered by accident that items on the top bar {I have mine set to blue, btw, not gray} can be shoved back and forth. I hate doing it, because I never have any idea of how to get back what I want, and I like for them to be in the exact places that I'm used to them being in), and this Top Sites was the furthest over, in territory I'd never explored before. {Aside--M, you'd better go get a cool washcloth to soothe your smacked forehead...) So I clicked on it, and what do you think??? It opened right up to the home window for my ISP, which I have had to search for every single time I've ever needed it.
(Never mind, M and all you other whizzes: I don't know how I've made it this far, either.) But I have AWADtalk right up there, now. Thanks bunches and drupes!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> tsuwm, did you give some of us this title as a recommendation
>> tsuwm, did you give some of us this title as a recommendation [...]? [whistling...]

I believe that I did mention The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay in these pages.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith