Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Owlbow Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I caught the last bit of an interesting item on NPR radio as I was driving to work this morning on Morning Edition
“Linguist Christopher J. Moore has made a career of searching out some of the world's most "untranslatable" expressions -- words from around the globe that defy an easy translation into English.”

I’m looking forward to reading the rest. I’m off to e-mail a request for the book from my local librarian. Good thing it’s almost lunchtime.

Here are 3 examples:

African Languages
ilunga (Tshiluba) [ee-Iun-ga] (noun)
This word from the Tshiluba language of the Republic of Congo has topped a list drawn up with the help of one thousand translators as the most untranslatable word in the world. It describes a person who is ready to forgive any transgression a first time and then to tolerate it for a second time, but never for a third time.

Arabic
taarradhin [tah-rah-deen] (noun)
Arabic has no word for "compromise" in the sense of reaching an arrangement via struggle and disagreement. But a much happier concept, taarradhin, exists in Arabic. It implies a happy solution for everyone, an "I win, you win." It's a way of resolving a problem without anyone losing face.

French
esprit de I'escalier [es-pree de less-ka/-iay] (idiom)
A witty remark that occurs to you too late, literally on the way down the stairs. The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations defines esprit de l'escalier as, "An untranslatable phrase, the meaning of which is that one only thinks on one's way downstairs of the smart retort one might have made in the drawing room."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4457805

#137447 01/19/05 03:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re:
ilunga (Tshiluba) [ee-Iun-ga] (noun)
This word from the Tshiluba language of the Republic of Congo has topped a list drawn up with the help of one thousand translators as the most untranslatable word in the world. It describes a person who is ready to forgive any transgression a first time and then to tolerate it for a second time, but never for a third time.

a concept that, perhaps, was brought to the america's.even if a specific word for it wasn't.
i think of the classic 'joke' about the back woods man who takes on a 'townie' as bride.
as they head back into the woods, the mule carring the bride and her trouseau stumbles. and the man looks the mule in the eye and says: That's once!
the going gets steeper and harder as they head further into the back country, and the mule stumbles again, the man, even more severly now, tells the mule: That's twice!

coming over the last ridge, late in a tiring day, the mule stumbles again. the man take his bride off the mule, pulls out his gun, and shoot the mule right between the eyes!

the woman is insensed! she goes hysterical, and lashes into the man, berating him for his stupidity in killing the mule.. she wasn't harmed by the stumbles, and now, how will they get all the stuff to the cabin, and besides its getting dark and she's tired..
she finally pauses to take a breath and the man, her new husband, looks her square in the eye and says: That's once!

#137448 01/19/05 04:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
in baseball, as batter
strike one - no matter.. just getting the measure of the pitcher
strike two - okay, gotta swing easy now.. just protect the plate
strike three - "You're out!!"

veteran
veteran

When I took German, they told us that the noun "die Gemütlichkeit" was not exactly translatable. It means kinda like "coziness," but more, though I could never unravel what "more" might entail.

k

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
esprit de I'escalier
I love it. A spirit that I indulge in frequently.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
or in German, treppenwitz

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Perhaps the Scandinavian expression "Uff da."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Uff da I thought that was made up...?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
or in German, treppenwitz

Which just goes to prove. It isn't exactly untranslatable, is it?

#137455 01/20/05 04:26 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
uff da
A multi use exclaimation.
Comes from immigrants from Scandinavia during the early part of the 20th century. If you are surprised you say "Uff da", if you are disgusted you say "Uff da", over worked? "Uff da"
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=uff+da

uff-da = a weak fit of ill temper
http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/wordlist.htm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith