Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#13734 12/28/00 08:01 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>that I had missed the mark

I know what you mean! All my three year old wanted one for Christmas was a dolly feeding set (£10) and some dummies (things that go in a babies mouth) for her "Tiny Tears" doll - could I get them! I eventually got the address and ordered them by post but they didn't arrive. I was reduced to visiting friends, tipping out toyboxes and trying to find the least chewed ones that could be borrowed to be put in her stocking from Father Christmas - I was exhausted (the cost 50p)!

#13735 12/28/00 08:03 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>and set up the creche

I just noticed this, I think TEd used the word too.

I've never heard creche used for other than child-care. We call the christmas scene a "crib". I wonder why the difference?

#13736 12/28/00 02:00 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I've definitely heard both for Christmas scenes, but I'm not sure what the difference might be. Is a creche a bigger and more elaborate scene than a crib?

Bingley

Bingley
#13737 12/28/00 02:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Creche is never used in NY for childcare--it might be somewhere in US, but not to my knowledge.. It is often used for a nativity scene..(which is what it was all ways called in my childhood) but I don't think it was ever called a crib.

childcare is always referred to as "daycare" as in a daycare center... now days, there are also senior citizen day care centers, for the elderly who, are a bit too feeble to remain on their own all day, but don't quite need round the clock supervised care. their adult children enroll them in a senior day care center, where they get breakfast and a mid day meal. and supervised activities-- from bridge and cribbage, for the mentally alert, but perhaps physically compromised, to exersize programs..

kids get daycare, pre-school, or a nanny-- or sometimes combinations.. it is possible in NY to have a part time nanny-- usually a college student, available for several hours, combined with a day care program for other hours.

the difference between daycare and pre-school is the program, and often whether or not it meets legal guidelines. NY for safety, requires 1 adult for every 2 children under the age of 2, and 1 egress for for every 10 children. so a 60 child program needs 6 seperate exits, and 30 adults. Even a small program-- 20 children, needs 2 exits, and 10 adults. Most people use "illegal" daycare. 6 to 10 children, in someone house, with one or two rooms filled with toys, and a television. the kids get fed and changed, and otherwise fend for them selves. standard are little better for 2 to 5 year's old, (fewer adults needed) but NY regulations call for the same ratio of means of egress.

Seperate means of egrees means "doors to the outside world" not just to a common corridor. I have a front and back door, so i have two means of egress.. Its really hard to arrange 5 or 6 seperate doors to the street. so legal childcare is very expensive.

#13738 12/28/00 04:51 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Creche is never used in NY for childcare

We use the word creche to mean childcare in a leisure centre or a shopping centre. It tends to mean the rather temporary childcare that allows the parents to shop, exercise, swim or see a play (if they are very lucky) and is provided by the people who want you to shop, exercise, swim or see a play! It is probably for two hours maximum on an irregular basis. The word is sometimes used for work-place creches which do have longer hours and are more like nurseries (see below).

Child-minders take children into their homes. I forget the ratios but they are quite complicated and depend on age of the children. There are a lot of registered childminders but it depends on the area.

Nannies provide child-care in the home. Some of my friends share nannies. They can be highly qualified, although it isn't legally required (or terribly well enforced). Au pairs are here to learn the language, usually and work part-time, generally looking after children who are older or who attend nurseries for part of the day. I seem to remember that there was a problem with an English au pair in Boston, so I'll avoid that one.

The Pre-School Parents Association (PPA) supports Play Groups which can be 2-3(ish) hours a day, Mon- Fri. There are professional staff but the fees are low and parents are encouraged as parent helpers and fundraisers.

Some schools have nursery classes, usually only half days from the age of three and are seen as education, rather than childcare. Some children start school as soon as they are four but in Scotland they can be as old as five and a half. Some schools have "After School Clubs" for children with working parents who do not make use of alternative child-care. They provide play opportunities (but not an opportunity to do homework). Some areas now have homework clubs for supported study.

Private nurseries provide care for children while parents are working and can have very long hours, say 8am - 6pm.
They take babies up to school age children and have strict requirements such as small toilets, outdoor play and ratios in keeping with the number of children.

I forgot to include grandparents and sisters and brothers who also provide childcare for many families.

My children are survivors of most of these types of child-care from stay-at-home mum, to full time nanny. They say that they liked the nanny best!!!

#13739 12/28/00 05:02 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
In reply to:

creche/Nativity Scene

Agreed the word creche is not only not used, but is not generally considered an English word in the USA. "Nativity Scene", in my experience, is generally used only to refer to a large (maybe life-sized) display, as on a village green, in front of the courthouse, or possibly on one's front lawn (garden, to Brits); the first two are now, in most communities, forbidden on public property as violating the separation of church and state. A small scene (I have a fine one bought 37 years ago in Italy -- it is on my mantel in the living room at Christmastide) is generally called a manger, an example of use of the part for the whole.

#13740 12/28/00 06:36 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Here we use crèche to name four things:

1) the manger in the nativity scene
2) a baby crib or cradle
3) an orphanage
4) a nursery school (where babies, and children 4 yrs and under, are cared for while parents are at work)

#13741 12/28/00 08:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I wasn't thinking of the things that go into a baby's mouth. You have to make sure they work properly. Creche test dummies.

TEd
#13742 12/28/00 10:51 PM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
TEd wrote : I wasn't thinking of the things that go into a baby's mouth. You have to make sure they work properly.
Creche test dummies.

The joke brought a when I realized what a dummy is!
When JMH first wrote about a "dummy" it took a moment to realize he meant what USA folk call a pacifier! Or what my neighbor's daughter, when she was two, called "my plug."
wow

#13743 12/29/00 07:48 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Creche Test Dummies. Love it. Ted, let's start a band and make a video.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 782 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith