Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#136286 12/22/04 01:32 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Happy first day of winter, everybody! And all you poor souls who are heading into months of hot weather--you have my pity. We're supposed to get SNOW tomorrow--YAY!!!

This afternoon I went to both the Post Office and UPS*, resigned to the fact that I was going to be waiting in line forever; and to my amazement, there was only one person ahead of me at each place. Then I went to the grocery store, and everybody and their mother was there.

*MSNBC was here today at UPS, because today is the busiest day for shipping packages. Couldn't tell it by me.

#136287 12/23/04 02:02 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Here in Rhode Island, it was 10F a few days ago and now it’s almost 60F. From flying snow and frost heaves to mucky mud and dense fog, a typically varied weather menu for this time of year in Southern NE. The ponds were starting to freeze, but then it snowed and roughed up the surface to make skating impossible. Now that it melted some, the surface is smooth and will make for some wonderful gliding if it gets cold enough before the next snow. If not and it snows enough – Cross Country skiing! These are the things that I’ve taken up to make my winters fun, that and shoveling a path to the chicken coop or laying down straw over the mud on that path as the case may be.
The seasonal message can be one of Peace and Compassion (Love, Charity - what you will) and I wish it for everyone here and elsewhere. I’ve often discussed these things with my nondenominational owl and the crows (who belong only to themselves) in our back woods and they concur - as do my many co-workers who participate in many different formal belief groups, or none.
I wish I could share with everyone; fine food, good drink, glad music, pleasant company, witty enlightening words and profound kindnesses. We do what we can. Owlbow

#136288 12/23/04 02:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I hope you get your snow, Jackie! if not, come up and visit!

we were 26°F at my house yesterday morning, but by the time I got down into town on my way to work, the temp there was 4°F. we have had a couple of days of sub-zero temps. today we're expecting wind gusts of 60mph...

word post: is there a symbol for mph? like the degree sign for temp?

happy holidays, all!

formerly known as etaoin...
#136289 12/23/04 03:22 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Snow fell yesterday from Western and Central Kentucky and Southern Indiana into southern Illinois, northwest and central Ohio, southern Michigan and New York state.

"It's a pretty expansive event," said Peter Manousos, meteorologist with the National Weather Service's Hydrometeorological Prediction Center in Camp Springs, Md., which looks at the big weather picture and how it tracks with longer-term forecasts.

Besides the snow, the system produced freezing rain and sleet as far south as Texas and Alabama, and by tomorrow may spread into northern Florida.

We got nearly 5 inches yesterday, plus maybe 8 hours' worth of heavy sleet afterwards--I mean it poured down. It's snowing again right now. I had been a bit concerned about my daughter's flight being able to land this afternoon, but according to the paper (which I had to look up on-line!), Elaine Chao flew in yesterday and had no problems. We saw the storm band on TV--it's apparently heading east till it hits the Appalachians and that they are funneling it north. We're just north of the middle of the band--or were yesterday, I should say. Just south of here they had mostly freezing rain and sleet; 30 miles north of here got almost three feet of snow by this morning.
We'll have a white Christmas!

#136290 12/23/04 04:59 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
It's even possible parts of soggy Britain may see some snow in the next 24 hours too! Happy holidays to everyone.

#136291 12/23/04 10:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As of 2 days ago, parts of NZ were still expecting snow!

#136292 12/23/04 11:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
possible parts of soggy Britain may see some snow in the next 24 hours

They said there'd be snow for Christmas …

#136293 12/24/04 11:47 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(from the good folks at Plain English Campaign)

Whereas, on or about the night prior to Christmas, there did occur at a certain
improved piece of real property (hereinafter "the House") a general lack of stirring
by all creatures therein, including, but not limited to a mouse.

A variety of foot apparel, e.g., stocking, socks, etc., had been affixed by and
around the chimney in said House in the hope and/or belief that St. Nick a/k/a/ St.
Nicholas a/k/a/ Santa Claus (hereinafter "Claus") would arrive at sometime
thereafter. The minor residents, i.e. the children, of the aforementioned House were
located in their individual beds and were engaged in nocturnal hallucinations, i.e.
dreams, wherein vision of confectionery treats, including, but not limited to,
candies, nuts and/or sugar plums, did dance, cavort and otherwise appear in said
dreams.

Whereupon the party of the first part (sometimes hereinafter referred to as ("I"),
being the joint-owner in fee simple of the House with the party of the second part
(hereinafter "Mamma"), and said Mamma had retired for a sustained period of sleep. At
such time, the parties were clad in various forms of headgear, e.g., kerchief and
cap.

Suddenly, and without prior notice or warning, there did occur upon the unimproved
real property adjacent and appurtenant to said House, i.e., the lawn, a certain
disruption of unknown nature, cause and/or circumstance. The party of the first part
did immediately rush to a window in the House to investigate the cause of such
disturbance.

At that time, the party of the first part did observe, with some degree of wonder
and/or disbelief, a miniature sleigh (hereinafter "the Vehicle") being pulled and/or
drawn very rapidly through the air by approximately eight (8) reindeer. The driver of
the Vehicle appeared to be and in fact was, the previously referenced Claus.

Said Claus was providing specific direction, instruction and guidance to the
approximately eight (8) reindeer and specifically identified the animal
co-conspirators by name: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and
Blitzen (hereinafter "the Deer"). (Upon information and belief, it is further
asserted that an additional co- conspirator named "Rudolph" may have been involved.)

The party of the first part witnessed Claus, the Vehicle and the Deer intentionally
and willfully trespass upon the roofs of several residences located adjacent to and
in the vicinity of the House, and noted that the Vehicle was heavily laden with
packages, toys and other items of unknown origin or nature. Suddenly, without prior
invitation or permission, either express or implied, the Vehicle arrived at the
House, and Claus entered said House via the chimney.

Said Claus was clad in a red fur suit, which was partially covered with residue from
the chimney, and he carried a large sack containing a portion of the aforementioned
packages, toys, and other unknown items.

He was smoking what appeared to be tobacco in a small pipe in blatant violation of
local ordinances and health regulations.

Claus did not speak, but immediately began to fill the stocking of the minor
children, which hung adjacent to the chimney, with toys and other small gifts. (Said
items did not, however, constitute "gifts" to said minor pursuant to the applicable
provisions of the U.S. Tax Code.)

Upon completion of such task, Claus touched the side of his nose and flew, rose
and/or ascended up the chimney of the House to the roof where the Vehicle and Deer
waited and/or served as "lookouts." Claus immediately departed for an unknown
destination.

However, prior to the departure of the Vehicle, Deer and Claus from said House, the
party of the first part did hear Claus state and/or exclaim: "Merry Christmas to all
and to all a good night!" Or words to that effect.

#136294 12/24/04 03:21 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
No snow here on the beautiful New Hampshire seacoast (which suits me just fine, Jackie) - the sun is out and delivering Christmas packages is easy. Hurrah !
IMHO Christmas is a time for lots of packages to open, full of fun useless stuff ... birthdays are for quality - Christmas is for quantity!!
I wish you all the happiest of Christmas holidays - peace, health, love and lots of laughter --- and I hope you all get lots of loot.
Your High Priestess
Ann

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But few people know about the tenth reindeer. In fact, Olive is so obscure that she appears in only one Christmas song, but practically everyone knows it:

Olive, the other reindeer, used to laugh and call him names.

TEd
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 824 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith