About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Foxnews simply copied it

how do we know that? do you have a more reliable source with the same story?

formerly known as etaoin...
#135431 12/20/04 11:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

#135432 12/21/04 12:41 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ok. thanks.

formerly known as etaoin...
#135433 12/30/04 07:42 PM
U
stranger
stranger
U
No.

E
addict
addict
E
Terry Pratchett - a good writer with a wonderful commmand of the English language and a biting, hilarious wit. He also likes to prod our prejudices and comfy beliefs. Highly recommended. Tim Cahill (travel writer - sorta). Try "A Wolverine is Eating my Leg", or "Jaguars Ripped my Flesh". Or how about "The Alphabet Versus the Goddess" by Leonard Shlain?

E
addict
addict
E
That would be "find fault with him who bears the message", not "he".
Sheesh!
I wouldn't normally do this, but your post was an invitation to find fault......

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass" especially Song of the Open Road.

Ralph Waldo Emerson's essay On Self-Reliance.

>“Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist” – Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1803-1882<

B
B
Dear Anastrophic,

You plainted, “What does all this have to do with words, Milo? Just asking...”

Well if you say, write, or sign something you are using words after all! But the title of this forum is the following:

Looking for (writers, speakers, ...)

I’m guessing that few of the participants in all these fora are mute, so they are certainly almost all speakers. Also in some sense participants can write (or at least type). And, since they must do so to participate, it would seem that the aim implied by the title can be easily fulfilled—just sign up virtually any one of us!

But it isn’t that simple is it? The Chief One is looking for calls for those who would and preferably can as well perform these functions in a professional way perhaps even (gasp!) for filthy lucre. But what if anything do most of the posts so far concern? I aver that most of them have absolutely nothing to do with its announced purpose, yours included dear Ana!

I see exactly one post that actually fits the avouched purpose of this forum, viz.

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS for Publication of "Jaisini G

An early example of writings he is looking for would be I believe, “The Emperor’s New Clothes.” I hope he is putting us on.

My post to our esteemed leader Anu Garg and the one from the purveyor of bawdy language are in fact only indirectly on point. We are a speaker and a writer respectively volunteering to be called upon. What the forum’s purpose was however was:

A place to post calls for writers, speaker requests, and the like.

In fact I find it extremely ironic that having been counseled as a newbie to eschew all political and religious topics, I should find long contributions on AIDs and Creationism (anti-Creationism actually). Really! You actually want to talk about something interesting! How dare you!

So why don’t you take all that political and religious material to the “Miscellany” forum or petition for fora on politics, religion, science, and health? But, if you really want to limit this collection of fora to a discussion of words, I have good news! ALL of these subjects use words occasionally to advance their ends! Who woulda thunk it?

Some of the contributions in the thread labeled “Well, Looking for a Writer...” indirectly indirectly address calls for good writers and speakers of the serious sort in the sense that they critique the competence of a writer. That in fact provoked the interesting, but according to some verboten, disquisitions on subjects political and religiously relevant (if not precisely religious).

So my conclusion is that the wannabe callees have overwhelmed the callers of worthy writers and speakers.

Given the jocular nature of the first caller and the general improbability of postings from callers, do you think that this has all been a gigantic IQ test by the Great Anubis, which all of you BTW flunked?!?

BraverLad

P.S. The moderator (who must stand continually amazed at his own moderation!) stated in the thread entitled “New forum” the following:

Often I receive requests from editors, event hosts, researchers, and others who are looking for writers, speakers, interview subjects, etc. They are welcome to post their messages here. No spam, please. If the post is genuine and relevant, it's more likely to be well-received by the members of this community.

B
B
Dear themilum,

You wrote, "For pure incredulity, we need the inverted exclamation point."

Ever hear of the 'interrobang' a combination of the exclamation and the question mark?

BraveLad

B
B
Dear Faldage,

You wrote, "Science is all about overturning received knowledge."

Au contraire Aged Fald (a title of respect)! The mark of true science is that each sucessive theory refines the previous one, not overturns it. Physics which is a true experimental science works by such a process.

BraveLad

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 399 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith