Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#135192 11/12/04 03:38 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I thought this explanation in today's Word was so cool!
[From Middle English, from Middle French terçuel, from Vulgar Latin tertiolus, diminutive of Latin tertius (third). Ultimately from Indo-European root trei- (three) that's also the source of such words as three, testify (to be the third person), triskaidekaphobia (fear of the number 13).]

Why the sense of third in the word for a male hawk? It's either from the belief that the third egg produced a male, or from the fact that the male of hawk is one-third smaller than the female.

Hawks have two groups they are divided into; also interesting words: buteo (essentially, a soarer) and accipiter (kind of like the...uh oh, P 38's(?) of WWII--designed for high-speed maneuverability. In the case of the hawks, following prey (smaller birds) through heavily-wooded areas.

Hawks, thank heavens, have adapted fairly well to cities. One day this summer I watched a broad-wing chase a sparrow from a tree to a bush in my friend's neighbor's yard; then the sparrow fled to shelter underneath the car parked on the street...and the hawk went right under after it!

#135193 11/12/04 09:12 PM
D
D
Thank you for the etymology and extra information, Jackie! Interesting!

#135194 11/12/04 11:37 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"Accipitor
Genus of 'true hawks', consisting of 50 species of birds of prey. They belong to the family Accipitridae, which includes eagles, hawks, and Old World vultures, in the order Falconiformes. They appear by day and by night, and are recognizable by their hooked and powerful beaks and talons."

"Etymology: New Latin, genus name, from Latin, hawk
: any of a genus (Accipiter) of medium-sized forest-inhabiting hawks that have short broad wings and a long tail and a characteristic flight pattern of several quick flaps and a glide
- ac·cip·i·trine" MW

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith