Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#134502 10/27/04 05:24 PM
D
D
plutarch,

I am not suggesting that the expression “Dick Smith-ing” is not derived from the band’s name, I am only acknowledging the possibility that the band may have taken its name from a previously existing expression.

So far, I have not read anything in these posts that definitively establishes from where the expression “Dick Smith-ing” came. I’ve only seen your original statement: “Dick Smith is a band famous for ‘Swillbilly’” and your subsequent statements: “The Dick Smith Band has been around since 1982, plenty of time for them to have established their ‘swillbilly’ reputation” and, “Occam’s Razor.” No offense, but your posts are hardly definitive proof of your apparent (non-stated) assertion that the expression “Dick Smith-ing” is derived from the band’s name, nor is it logically a conclusion.

A band taking its name from a previously existing expression, or well known thing, is not uncommon. For a few examples, consider the names of the following bands: The Infamous They, Dead Kennedys, and to a lesser extent: The Police, and Crash Test Dummies.

Without definitive proof as to where the expression “Dick Smith-ing” came from, one could quite reasonably contend that there are various possibilities to explain the expression’s genesis. To ignore the existence of other possibilities, and to be so quick to wield Occam’s Razor in defense of your assertion, neither supports, nor furthers your apparent argument. Nor, once again, does it preclude the possibility of the band taking its name from a previously existing expression.

If you have definitive proof that the expression is derived from the band’s name, present it. Otherwise, I think the lexicographers would require the words, “probably” or “may” in the explanation of the word’s etymology. Certainly, they would not explain its etymology by writing: “Occam’s Razor tells us …”

#134503 10/27/04 05:26 PM
D
D
bevman,

To pursue the possibility of plutarch’s suggestion: when did you first hear your father use the expression, i.e. what year?

#134504 10/28/04 10:46 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Well, it could have been this Dick Smith, Dgeigh --- but it seems unlikely:

"Dick Smith--writer, artist, photographer--was deeply devoted to preservation of the wild and was called by some the "conscience of Santa Barbara." The Wilderness that bears his name is an area of extremely rugged terrain with elevations varying from 3,750 feet along the Cayuma Rim to 6,541 feet atop Madulce Peak to the west. Chaparral dominates the vegetation, but a splendid collection of mixed conifers grows around Madulce Peak."

http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS&sec=wildView&wname=Dick Smith Wilderness

re "I think the lexicographers would require the words, “probably” or “may” in the explanation of the word’s etymology."

OK, "probably" the reference is to the Dick Smith band which adopted the name in 1982.

It isn't every mystery which warrants a "definitive" answer, Dgeigh -- which is why Occam's Razor comes in so handy, at least for me.

But for anyone looking for a "definitive" answer, I would agree that finding out how long the name was used by Bevman's father would be a good place to start.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,373
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 166 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith