Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#133611 10/02/04 12:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Your post about the much-needed apostrophe after "Teachers" has lost its subject line. I read it and was going to respond but the board went into its meltdown mode and I couldn't access it any more.

Anyway, please go to the edit icon and give it a title, so it's clickable again.

Meanwhile, these folks would surely sympathize with you, as do I:

http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/

#133612 10/03/04 12:57 AM
D
D
AnnaStrophic,

Thank you for the link.

My first dear, departed post appears to have been stinking up the place, so I decided to toss it out. I tried to delete it entirely, but the system wouldn’t allow me to do that. I deleted the title and the text hoping that would remove it from view. But, of course, that didn’t work either. Instead, it left something of an annoying mystery to those who see its empty parking space with the name “Dgeigh” painted on the curb – not what I was hoping for. I’ve tried to find a way back to it to reinstate it, but the parking space is all I can find: no title, no text, no dice.

I found a copy of the original text though. If you would like to see it again, here it is:

Submitted for Your Arbitration

Hello! This is the first time I've posted anything on this site, so I hope my thoughts are in the right spirit.

I belong to a local credit union named "[City Name] Area Teachers Credit Union", a name that has always annoyed me. It is my contention that there is an apostrophe missing from the name after the "s" in "Teachers". It also seems to me that the truant apostrophe puts the term "teacher" in a bad light, casting serious doubt on the qualifications of the teachers who are members.

Years ago I used to work at the credit union, and would, on occasion bring up the topic of the missing apostrophe. One wouldn't think that a humble apostrophe could kill a conversation quite so quickly - blank stares all around.

Your thoughts?

Apropos - and this may be kicking a dead dog, so to speak, but - the credit union also proudly advertises that it offers "Safety Deposit Boxes". What exactly is a "safety" deposit box? Is it anything like a "safe" deposit box? Or is it more like a "safety" pin?

I know, I know: descriptive vs. prescriptive (and if it weren't for the word "Teachers" in the credit union's name it wouldn't be so annoying), but one would think that the good-business side of a financial institution, trying to represent itself and its customers (educators) in the best way possible, would try to adhere to the prescriptive use of the language rather than the descriptive use, a use that borders on the colloquial.

Thoughts?

#133613 10/03/04 05:01 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Prescriptive is good.

On the subject of the missing apostrophe, I have two contributions:

1. Have you yet read Eats, Shoots and Leaves? If not, you ought.

2. Will you please join me in being as exercised about church names like Saint Johns rather than Saint John's and All Saints rather than All Saints'?

#133614 10/03/04 06:48 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Prescriptive is good.

Didn't your role model say something like "judge not, lest ye be judged"? (Sorry about the irony excess there)

#133615 10/03/04 12:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Didn't your role model say something like "judge not, lest ye be judged"?

Quite right! This is as good an example as any of why the Scriptures ought not be read in a literalistic way, especially out of context.

#133616 10/03/04 05:10 PM
D
D
Yes, I suppose prescriptivism is something of a cross to bear – “glass houses” and all that – but I think it does have its place in trying to correct the obvious misusage of a word through unfortunate ignorance, and keep that misusage out the authoritative representatives of the words of our language, i.e. dictionaries.

If everyone were to apply the “judge not” argument to language, reductio ad absurdum, there would be no language. There would be no agreement on the meaning, form, or spelling of words, and no agreement on rules or conventions. People would utter whatever they chose, and no one would understand them.

On the other hand, having written all of the above, I do not advocate prescriptivism being taken to the point of restricting creativity, or bringing our language to a stagnant halt.

#133617 10/03/04 06:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
People would utter whatever they chose, and no one would understand them.
#133618 10/03/04 08:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Why me?

I edited a word(s) for clarity in my previous response and it took a huge bite out of my post, leaving nothing but...

Dgeigh - If you have the auto-emailed version of the reply (if you have that function turned on) would you repost it? Thanks in advance... and "C'est la vie" if you don't.

#133619 10/03/04 09:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

Why me?

Don't sweat it, musick, you probably just posted something that triggered a flag with your beloved heimatsicherheitsabteilung. The whole world is Unca Tom's cabin, doncha know.

#133620 10/03/04 09:28 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
You go Dgeigh! You're absolutely right! The no-apostrophe error would irk me too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,398
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,017 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,576
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith