Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#13282 04/02/01 11:51 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
David, it was intended in jest, and, if you have a look in Miscellany, you will see that the "damage" done is very temporary. Already most of the old threads that I revived are slipping down the page, and will no doubt be gone completely before too long. The same will happen to all the other traces of my prank, and, since at least one or two of the old threads have generated new responses, I don't consider it to have been a total waste of time.

#13283 04/02/01 11:58 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Yes, it does seem that my prank went somewhat astray, as pranks are wont to do, I guess. I was careful to stop when the Board's clock rolled over from April 1, so the remaining "scars" should fade quickly.

#13284 04/03/01 02:24 AM
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
> I don't consider it to have been a total waste of time.

Absolutely not, max. I had great time, laughing.
And threads will sort themselves out in no time.

#13285 04/03/01 02:43 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Namaste, Avy. I thank you for that. By the way, there was a very interesting article about Banglore's tech parks in the NY Times Web edition a couple of weeks ago
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/21/technology/21CALL.html I would be interested to hear what you think. If you have trouble accessing it there, I have clipped it to my idrive account http://www.idrive.com maxquordlepleen, password Crescent.

#13286 04/03/01 06:47 AM
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Salaam Max,
Thanks for the article yes it was interesting.
Yes lots of people are making a career in these "back office services". A friend gave up his job at a stock broker to take up something called medical transcription. It involves data entry of the audio files of doctor's prescriptions from the US. (Never mind the work is boring as hell - it's money) Even qualified doctors are giving up their practice to make this a career. When the US sleeps India does their cleaning up.
As far as changing names - though it sounds stupid it makes sense. You don't want to lose money because they can't get your name right. And I know from experience how impossible it seems for some occidental people to pronounce oriental names (at all - never mind correctly). Besides the article has picked the easier names. Imagine expecting clients to manage with Mr. Balamurlikrishnayappan
>the city itself is a mess -
Pot holed roads? Those are legendary. Crumbling building? Of course in the older parts of every Indian city you have crumbling buildings. Ramshackle airport? They say we are getting an international airport. The present one is ramshackle.
You see, Bangalore was a sleepy little town where pensioners used to come for their retirement to enjoy the good weather. Suddenly came this tech explosion and the infrastructure did not keep pace. It will take time I guess.
I work in development so I can't comment in a very informed manner on technology. As far as this city goes - I have lived here all my life. It's home.
I won't be on the board for a while. So bye for now. Too long a message anyway ..

#13287 04/03/01 01:12 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I was careful to stop when the Board's clock rolled over from April 1,

(Banging head on desk and laughing like a loon ... not an easy thing to do!)
Oh, Max you really had me going! Congratulations ... best April Fool prank I've experienced in a looooong time.

Serendipitously the threads you chose were really interesting And the change to activity from usual Sunday derth of posts was a delight to me.
(Shaking head and smiling that I was taken in so easily)
Still chuckling
wow

#13288 04/03/01 05:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...and after a certain PM from IP (which I haven't answered, yet) I thought it might be him digging deep into a herstory lesson . I'm with WOW - It was a bit refreshing.

#13289 04/03/01 10:13 PM
N
N
I' sorry but I can't agree. I don't make it here very often, and to find the Board cluttered up with old posts because someone wanted to have a little "fun" was very annoying. Max's behaviour was childish and stupid, and he should be ashamed of himself.

#13290 04/03/01 10:36 PM
H
addict
addict
H
Wowiezowie - I found Max's prank a little distracting, as I couldn't really figure out what was going on and I think I missed some things in a thread or two, but nobody got hurt and I don't think anybody has to be ashamed of anything. I like to spend time on this board because I learn things, I think about things, and I laugh a lot. Now I know what Max was up to, it makes me laugh, it makes me glad that we've got a group here that encourages creativity and even goofiness (meant in the kindest way MaxQ - I am a singularly goofy person much of the time), and it made me think, as I tried to figure out what kind of crazy programming bug would run into a problem simply because of daylight savings time.

In short - Max and the rest of all you crazies: keep it up!

Hyla

#13291 04/03/01 11:06 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
As for me, I've made it up with Max; called him friend more than gladly, and had done with curmudgeoning for the foreseeable future. For my wild over-reaction and irate blabbage, I offer my...what it is, what it is ad ad nauseum, one offers.

wink smile straitjacket

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith