Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#132891 09/10/04 11:54 PM
C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
Hi,everyone. I'm a newbie here though I have been a reader since a long time ago.

I'm not a native English speaker but I'm learning English. I feel awkward in composing, so I'm trying to write diaries in English to practice it. I'm very unconfident in it. So recently a flakey idea came to my mind. Can I post it on wordsmith and get some directions?

I hope it's acceptable here. So I would like to have a try here. And if some of you have any suggestions on its correction or alteration, I hope you could post them and I could learn from it.

I don't think this may interest everyone. So if this is not interesting to you, just ignore this.

Thanks very much.

Callithump
Sep.11,2004
=====================

Do inform me if you see any corrections needed in my written English.
#132892 09/11/04 10:05 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hi Callithump.

Welcome to the madness!

I gave some thought to your post, and I wonder if there might not be a better way to proceed. A diary might take up quite a bit of space here, and while many of us would be happy to help you with your English, which is by the way excellent, this might not be the proper forum.

Does your internet service provider (ISP) provide space for you to have a web site? If so, perhaps you should post it as a blog and give access to those people who express an interest in helping you. Or give access to the world at large and let everyone have a look at it. But then you get heaven knows what for advice. And I predict that here you are likely to get five or six different solutions to the same problem (of which seven or eight are valid solutions!) English is a strange and wonderful language.

If you are studying English in a formal setting, ask your instructor for assistance and advice. There are probably a lot of resources available when you put your mind to it.

Stick around, though. This is a fun place and you can learn a lot.

TEd

TEd
#132893 09/11/04 12:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome, callithump. Stick around. Read our ramblings and write. Don't be afraid to ask questions. the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Also, try to identify those of us you feel most comfortable with and ask us by Private Message, if you don't feel comfortable asking in public. So far your use of the language is quite good so you don't have to worry.

#132894 09/11/04 01:47 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Hello!

Your syntax is advanced! I wish my students could correctly punctuate subordination when they entered my class--and they're native American speakers of (American) English. You're doing very well. I was most impressed with:

And if some of you have any suggestions on its correction or alteration, I hope you could post them and I could learn from it.

I'd call that sentence particularly advanced for a non-native speaker of English. Very impressive, in fact. The only noticeable bumps in the road were the use of the preposition 'on' which seemed a bit off to my ear--but that's just my ear, calli'--and a pronoun agreement problem (i.e., 'post them...learn from it'/better: 'post them...learn from them', even though I realize you mean here that 'it' is the process of learning. Pronouns provide numerous opportunities for debates and nitpicking.) How long have you studied English? You are truly cruising along at a terrific clip.

Enjoy yourself here and tell us about your intriguing name, callithump.

Best regards,
Wordwind

#132895 09/11/04 03:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a noisy, boisterous mock serenade, a charivari (shivaree)

I guess we'll see if the shoe fits...

#132896 09/11/04 11:04 PM
C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
oh,as to the name callithump, sometime when I register with a website, I just try to find an English word totally strange to me. That will help me remember some words, I have thought.
So this time when it came to Wordsmith.org, I surfed to gurunet.com and found this word on its today's tips. Yes, wordsmith.org happened to give today's word as shivaree. That's it, and great websites always have the same.

Thanks very much, all.

Callithump.
Sep.12,2004

#132897 09/11/04 11:48 PM
C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
'on' which seemed a bit off to my ear...

-Should it be better using 'of'?

#132898 09/12/04 01:00 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
better using 'of'?

I'd suggest 'for':

if some of you have any suggestions for its correction or alteration

Prepositions can be very tricky to master.

#132899 09/15/04 02:43 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Welcome Callithump, and do keep posting! I note your use of US idiom - "flakey idea" - Heaven knows English is difficult but to use an idiom correctly is impressive! Keep up the good work.
What is your native language?

#132900 09/20/04 11:14 PM
C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
Dear all, with all of your valued work I would like to rewrite my post again for your review. I hope you can raise your ax again if there are something (that?) can be said differently.
====================
Hi,everyone. I'm a newbie here though I have been a reader since a long time ago.

I'm not a native English speaker but I'm learning English. I feel awkward in composing, so I'm trying to write diaries in English to practice it. I'm very unconfident in it. So recently a flakey idea came to my mind. Can I post it on wordsmith and get some directions?

I hope it's acceptable here. So I would like to have a try here. And if some of you have any suggestions for its correction or alteration, I hope you could post them, from which I could learn.

I don't think this may interest everyone. So if this is not interesting to you, just ignore this.

Thanks very much.

Callithump
Sep.11,2004
=====================

I’m learning English. If u find anywhere I can improve my composition, Pls do let me know. Bow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith