About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#12609 12/14/00 03:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
trying to 'see' the similarity in these colours that made the Polynesians see them all as variations of the same thing.

This thread is so wonderful– I am tone deaf-really, really bad when it come to music, but from early childhood, I've had a great sense of color.... Many times, my mother would send me to buy buttons or threads or other notions for things that she was sewing.. Once in a while she would question a color of thread– but inevitable she recognized I was right.

One time, I bought "purple" thread for some fabric she saw as brown– she first looked at me as if I had two heads, and even went so far as to send me back to the store to get a spool of brown, but in the end she used the "purple thread"–

Bridget, I have seen the color cubes (and flat plates of color ranges) but I have never seen the kind of overlay you mentioned... I would love to see it. I often find myself seeing colors other define as "pink" as purple– or some browns as purple, and greys as pink– and reading this, you might find it totally weird– but it makes sense to me..
I also can automatically compensate for the difference that happen when you move from flourescent light to incandescent light, to sun light..

from a technical point of view, of course, any color can be defined as a frequence of light– and computers use RBG values, octal or hex depending on your OS– and hue, saturation and luminosity can also effect color.

There was a book on the chemical/physical nature of color some years ago– it was way beyond my math knowledge, and it discussed some of this. Music lover/students will have to help me– in western music, we use certain harmonies, (take a length of sting, pluck it to make tone 1– divide the string in half- and you go up one tone– divide again, ect..)
But not all music uses this set of tonal values— Celtic, Chinese, and Japanese (and others) music use a total different set of tones than western sets "A , B, C, D, E, F, G" (with sharps and flats–) which is why is often sound strange–(off key, or screeching–) and is truly hated (many modern Celtic piece have be reset to western music– but most bagpipes are still set to the celtic "scales")

With color, the same is true– some cultures see different "break" points– but when these are analyzed as frequencies, they follow very fixed mathematical rules– Its as if, in a decimal based color world–they are using octal!

and I collect kaleidoscope, of course.

#12610 12/14/00 04:21 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Capital Kiwi wrote : Having so many words for colours may appear sophisticated, but everyone, and I mean everyone has a markedly different mental rendering of each named colour. It's plain inef

#12611 12/14/00 04:39 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Capital Kiwi wrote : Having so many words for colours may appear sophisticated, but everyone, and I mean everyone has a markedly different mental rendering of each named colour. It's plain inefficient. It's also what gives the language its charm ...
And here's me thinkin' that it was all a plot by the fashion industry!
Last year's "pomegranate" dress is out of date and this year we must have "red grapefruit!"
Last year's lavender-blue is this year's periwinkle !!!
I pay attention to that sort of thing ... after 12 years of navy blue, shapeless, itchy, serge uniforms required by the school I attended, I swore to be a slave to fashion!
It seems to me that color/colour is sometimes the only thing that distinguishes one year's fashion from the next.
And it all comes around... the current cropped pants fad (body clinging mid-calf length pant) is a re-hash of the 1948's pedal pushers!
Personally, I am waiting for peasant blouses to return. Sadly the sand in my hour-glass figure has run to the bottom but the shoulders are still good!
wow

#12612 12/14/00 10:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow bemoaned: Sadly the sand in my hour-glass figure has run to the bottom but the shoulders are still good

Yes, and when my goddaughter prods me in my (ample) midriff, I always tell her that my chest has just slipped a bit. She doesn't believe me any more. Eight-year-olds are so sophisticated these days ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith