Print Thread
#121818 01/31/04 08:19 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
The only kind of expletives I could identify were swear words. Here's a definition:
" Expletive is a single word or short phrase, usually interrupting normal syntax, used to lend emphasis to the words immediately proximate to the expletive. (We emphasize the words on each side of a pause or interruption in order to maintain continuity of the thought.) "

The site has many helpful descriptions and examples.
http://www.virtualsalt.com/rhetoric.htm

#121819 01/31/04 11:13 PM
M
addict
addict
M
The number of unread posts above the fold are terrifyingly large...stay away and pay the price, I suppose. Have started at the bottom and shall pant and puff my way up!

Bill, I went searching for why an expletive has more commonly, come to mean a swear word and found a possible explanation in an Orwellian essay from, 'Down and Out in Paris and London'. Have c/ped the relevant paragraph in case you dont want to read the whole thing

The whole business of swearing, especially English swearing, is mysterious. Of its very nature swearing is as irrational as magic— indeed, it is a species of magic. But there is also a paradox about it, namely this: Our intention in swearing is to shock and wound, which we do by mentioning something that should be kept secret—usually something to do with the sexual functions. But the strange thing is that when a word is well established as a swear word, it seems to lose its original meaning; that is, it loses the thing that made it into a swear word. A word becomes an oath because it means a certain thing, and, because it has become an oath, it ceases to mean that thing. For example—. The Londoners do not now use, or very seldom use, this word in its original meaning; it is on their lips from morning till night, but it is a mere expletive and means nothing. Similarly with—, which is rapidly losing its original sense. One can think of similar instances in French—for example—, which is now a quite meaningless expletive.

The exact words have been blanked out, I think. I wonder if that is how it is in the original text or if the webmaster edited it.

The link:
http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/o/o79d/chap32.html

#121820 02/01/04 01:03 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear maahey: There is a lot of information in that site about UK slang that many members will find interesting.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith