Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
NYC 's 'local' vocabulary includes the terms: IRT, IND, and BMT these initals are the 'names' of the long defunct companies that once owned various parts of the NYC transit system. (originally there were three private, competing companies.. but NYC has owned all three since before WWII)

there is almost no remnant of reference to them in the subway system, but many NYers still use them to define subway lines.. some out of towners/transplanted NYers even know for were they originated. tourist name lines by the colors used on new subway maps.. ('is this were i can catch the RED line?--(Sure, the IRT No1 stops over on that platform.)

all three lines are different.. (NYC has 3, count'em, 3 sets of rolling stock for the subways (and don't even mention the new 'Monorail to JFK-an other set of rolling stock!)) so you can 'learn the lines' by just looking at the subway cars. (IRT, cars are short (not as much headroom), wide and long) IND cars are High (great for basketball players)medium and narrow. BMT cars are the worst.. low, short and narrow.)

D
D
I don't know much about green onions, but here on Vermont's Canadian border, it's common to say that something badly worn, nearly used up, or otherwise approaching its natural end has had the radish.

Ron.

Ron.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"had the radish"-?? Why on earth?

#120513 01/22/04 02:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a course, that's them up there in the Kingdom. we'd never say anything like that down here in civilized Central Vermont...

formerly known as etaoin...
#120514 01/22/04 11:17 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
>>Lynda Lemay

Wow, Hib, it's so suprising to hear someone speak about a Québec artist. See now, with that mini-course, you'd fit right in.

>>here in civilized Central Vermont
Oooooooooo, your in trouble now Eta !! Run...

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
I would have though the meter maids (blimey, there's an example of an "in mine not yours" term, I think) would be called "onions" because they make you cry, and not because they stink.

wwh: So, a Kamikaze of one kind or another sank the Mongol and then the U.S. Pacific fleet. Is there a connection?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Meter maid is also used in the UK (didn't it appear in a Beatle song? Rita the Meter Maid or summat like that?).

As for kamikaze, the WWII fighting force was named after the wind that protected Japan from the Mongols.

BTW the Mongols also tried to invade Java at about the same time (may even have been the same year) with similar lack of success.

Bingley

Bingley
#120517 01/23/04 08:52 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
meter maid

It’ s an interesting sidelight on the process of language osmosis in modern times that I too had thought this an English usage dating from the early sixties. But no, it’s another familiar part of my lexicon apparently soaked up from my brethren over the pond…!

meter maid orig. U.S.
1957 in Amer. Speech (1961) XXXVI. 282 Surveys conducted in cities using ‘meter maids’ have found that their meter revenue increased. 1958 Britannica Bk. of Year 519/2 Meter maid,+a woman police official with the task of patrolling metered parking-sites and reporting parking offences. 1968 Harper's Mag. Feb. 41 A Meter Maid was soon watching me censoriously. 1970 S. Ellin Man from Nowhere xxx. 150 Some meter maid found him when she looked in the car where it was parked uptown. 1970 Sunday Times 3 May 28/7 Why do meter maids+never look glamorous at all?

OED2

and a sidelight on the French connection from Anu's feedback emails:

With typical Gallic humor, meter maids (as we call them) were first known as "aubergines", which means "eggplants", because their uniforms were purple. The name stuck, so much so that while living in France (3 years) I never learned the official word for meter maid. It was never used. Eventually, the government found the appellation "aubergines" sufficiently embarrassing that they changed the color to blue; whereupon the French immediately changed the name to "Gitanes", the name of a brand of cigarettes which come in a box the same shade of blue as the new uniform.

http://www.wordsmith.org/awad/awadmail36.html

#120518 01/23/04 09:10 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
This site http://www.beatles-discography.com/index.html has Lovely Rita Meter Maid recorded in Feb. 1967.

Bingley

Bingley
#120519 01/23/04 12:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
NYC meter maids used to wear brown uniforms, and were called brownies.. they were often assaulted too, by unhappy motorist... now they wear identical uniforms to police officers, (with different 'insignia'), and they don't carry guns. assault have dropped signifigently.

they are horrid! one morning, as 9:30 approched,(OK, so it was 9:29) i got in my car to move it.
a meter maid in a patrol car came up and parked behind me, and the driver made a 'show' of look at his wrist watch. My seatbelt was mangled and it took a few seconds to get it straight.. by now the patrol car is inches from my bumper.. i really feet harrassed. Obviously, i was about to pull out. As soon as i did, the car raced down the street (in the parking lane, to 1 remaining car, and was out of the patrol car, writing a ticket, before the light had changed, i left the area. the guy was itching to write a ticket!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 723 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith