Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#11932 04/05/01 12:22 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear wow: I was thinking about your challenge about relative abilities of men vs women to tolerate pain. In thinking about different kinds of pain, suddenly I remembered dental pain, which ought to be equal for both men and women. So we need to have a dentist from the days before dental anaesthesia became so marvelous, who could tell us about his experiences with both sexes. That gets me off the hook.

#11933 04/05/01 09:23 AM
old hand
old hand
I've wondered about the term 'pain tolerance'. What does it mean? Here are some possibilities:

1. Pain that can be withstood before unconsciousness takes over. Presumably empirical studies (even if only obserrvational rather than empirical) can be carried out, and may have been, already. Any thoughts?

2. Subjective - individual's willingness to 'carry on' in a painful situation. This, however, need not tell us anything about the individual's physiology ("women have higher pain tolerance levels - it comes form hormones"-style mewage) but from cultutral and other conditioning. For instance, if men gave birth, and suckled, wouldn't it be true to say that women would suffer from the feelings of jealousy, and alienation, that fathers often go through - no longer being the most important person in the household, not able to create that 'mystical' mother-child bond that seems to occur so regularly, and so on. Further, if men were privy to such a bond (and yes, the 'magic' of giving birth and seeing something come alive that has grown inside you for all these months), what's to say that, no matter how painful, they wouldn't want to go through it again?

IMO, until we have a few real life Tiresias', the entire question is a moot one - particularly when it comes to the pain of childbirth and 'my pain is bigger than your pain' comparisons.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Pain that can be withstood before unconsciousness takes over.Presumably empirical studies (even if only observational rather than empirical)...?

Shanks -- Could you elucidate the two (including your parenthetical) phrases in red? I am not sure I understand how you distinguish "observational" and "empirical."

The notion of pain tolerance has always seemed odd to me. At face value, it belongs to the same category of speech addressed yesterday in the Empathy thread. It seems to me that since "subjective states" (a troubling term) are immeasurable as such, that they are necessarily incommensurable, as well. So that pain tolerance must refer to some empirically quantifiable response to an empirically quantifiable stimulus. Perhaps wwh could tell us--if I'm on the mark--what these might be. If my conjecture is right, while such measures seem useful, I don't see how they could, or should be expected to supplant the "subjective" report of "subjective" suffering--or a care giver's considered judgment thereof.

As to your second points on maternity, I will withhold any remarks here except to say, as a point of interest and not bawdiness, that men are capable of producing milk and, to some extent, at least, and suckling infants. (Or so I have read--Dr. Bill?). The subject of maternity might make an interesting non-word thread.

old hand
old hand
David asked for elucidation:

Presumably empirical studies (even if only observational rather than empirical)...?

I hang my head in shame. It should have read: even if only observational rather than experimental.

Hope that clarifies the matter.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#11936 04/05/01 06:29 PM
F
addict
addict
F
My wife has, in the past two years given birth, had gallstones, and passed a kidney stone (while pregnant!). She says (and from observation of her reactions to each, I concur) that the gallstones were the worst.

Flatlander

#11937 04/05/01 09:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My wife has, in the past two years given birth, had gallstones, and passed a kidney stone (while pregnant!). She says (and from observation of her reactions to each, I concur) that the gallstones were the worst.
I for one will be happy to take her word for it, poor thing.
Please convey our sympathies.

#11938 05/11/01 06:13 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I stumbled across an example of the spaded dog syndrome:

http://web.jet.es/runnymede/students/nicolealcantara/

Note the caption for the last picture on the page.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,189 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith