Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
#11297 12/04/00 09:12 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
There are still boiling chickens here. They are the hens that are all layed out (don't correct me on layed…that’s how we say it and now now, no lewd comments from the gents!!) They are usually huge and quite inexpensive. They are also the only chickens that have a target-use printed on packaging. I expect we can *&!^ well do what we want with the other ones

tsuwm…but what about when you grill bacon. Is the stuff left over grease or fat? What about when it solidifies?

#11298 12/04/00 09:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>but what about when you grill bacon. Is the stuff left over grease or fat? What about when it solidifies?

okay, by definition - grease is rendered (melted down) animal fat; when grease solidifies, voila, fat!

#11299 12/05/00 02:11 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
okay, by definition - grease is rendered (melted down) animal fat; when grease solidifies, voila, fat!

Ah hah! We'd call (food) grease "oil", then.

Surely you don't fry things in "cooking grease"??

(or "olive grease", "corn grease", "groundnut/peanut grease"...)

#11300 12/05/00 02:25 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ah hah! We'd call (food) grease "oil", then.

Surely you don't fry things in "cooking grease"??

(or "olive grease", "corn grease", "groundnut/peanut grease"...)

No of course not, once its solid its fat (and yes you can by chicken fat in a little package in NY grocery stores.)
but olive and peanut never solidify-- they are oil. Olive oil, corn oil, and you would grease the pan with butter or lard before cooking (say a cake). and other instructions might say "drain of all the grease/pan dripping except 2 tablespoons full, add flour... for making a roux.

Vegetable oils advertize that food cooked in their oil doesn't taste greasy.

in a pinch, i have used "crisco" a brand of solid vegetable shortening (solid oil!) as a grease. the main bearing failed on my concrete mixer in the middle of job, and a improvised with a large brass washer and some crisco!
i did mention i was--past tense--once married?.... Not any more.

#11301 12/05/00 02:54 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
you would grease the pan with butter or lard before cooking
Likewise, Helen, but that's a verb.

Vegetable oils advertize that food cooked in their oil doesn't taste greasy.
Likewise, but that's an adjective.

i have used "crisco" a brand of solid vegetable shortening (solid oil!)
Yes, we have solidified oils, but we would probably call them "lard" (or just "fat").

I suppose we fail to distinguish between oils that can solidify ("grease" to you) and oils that don't (and therefore remain "oil" to you).

Weird, isn't it? All these things we take for granted, and that are just so everyday we can't imagine any different kind of perception/language.

P.S. We'd talk about draining of all the fat or oil except x spoonfuls, though we do talk about "dripping". You used to be able to buy beef dripping, in fact, and it served as a quick snack spread on a slice of bread.

#11302 12/05/00 03:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>>you would grease the pan with butter or lard before cooking
>Likewise, Helen, but that's a verb.

well, what noun do you suppose that verb was verbed from??

#11303 12/05/00 03:12 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
>>you would grease the pan with butter or lard before cooking
>Likewise, Helen, but that's a verb.
well, what noun do you suppose that verb was verbed from??

'Tis true, tsuwm. We'd grease axles as well as pans. But grease as a noun would only apply to mechanisms for us.

#11304 12/05/00 03:40 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Beef dripping? my mother used to wax about wonderful breakfasts of "fried bread" --bread fried in bacon drippings. but i don't think most people in US would use drippings for bacon grease-- drippings are what you get from a roast (leg of lamb, beef, turkey).
( i grew up hearing drippings used for both bacon and roasts, but I don't think most in US would use the same word for both. Drippings are desireable, bacon fat is grease. But i could be wrong. I grew up hearing the words used interchangably but I don't think they are.)

and in ny, there is a ethic treat, the crispy bits of skin and stuff that get strained out from schmalz-- kosher rendered chicken fat. the favorite or best behaved child would get all the crunchy stuff, bits of derma and meat. Now every one is health conscious, and no one admits to eating such foods.
Schmaltz was used as an alternative to butter for meat meal, since food laws prohibitted mixing dairy food with meat.

and yes greasy is an adjective, but the point is, greasy is a word used with food-- not just axels--come to think of it, i get my car "lubed" not greased.

#11305 12/05/00 09:12 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
I sent this thread to the Vegetarianism Promotion Board, who have/has expressed their/its sincere thanks. Please watch out for the forthcoming ad campaign.

#11306 12/06/00 08:21 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

The kind of cooker/(stove?) that is usually found in a British home has a separate grill, usually above the oven with the food cooked under the heat in a "grill pan" (a two tier affair with a rack resting above an oblong metal tray, as described). I read that US cookers usually have an oven which doubles as a grill if only the top element is used.

How on earth do Americans make cheese on toast (aka Welsh rabbit/rarebit)? Surely they don't make it in the oven. it would make such a simple snack far too much trouble.

Bingley

Bingley
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith