http://www.canopytower.com/images/hawks1.htm

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

We have planty of heat sources for bringing the water in the kettle up to boiling temp. A plain old Armstrong kettle can be used on a gas stove, electric stove, wood stove, butane stove, whatever. Having the heat source built into the kettle seems a little redundant to USns.

Well, I certainly didn't notice any lack of stoves of one sort or another last time I was in the UK, so there must be more to it than that.

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
didn't notice any lack of stoves

Perhaps they're more expensive to use? I would imagine that electric kettles might be more efficient than ours.

old hand
old hand
This is my best guess too. Besides, I note that electric kettles seem to be quicker to the boil than having the same amount of water in a kettle on gas, electricity or the like. I also think there might be something in Bingley's idea about voltage - UKians operating at 240 and Usians at about 120 (yes?).

cheer

the sunshine warrior

D
addict
OP Offline
addict
D
I meant electric kettles. My partner pointed out the almost complete lack of brewkits in US telly. Since then I have been keeping my eyes peeled for any evidence of kettles on US programmes, and found little. I was wondering if this no electric kettle world was a real one or just a TV land creation. How do builders brew up on site? How do you cope on holiday? How do you have a cup when someone is cooking? How do students stay alive? How do you bear it, poor lambs? Or is it in fact, not true at all? Oh, questions questions

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
something in Bingley's idea about voltage - UKians operating at 240 and Usians at about 120 (yes?).

Correct about the relative voltages, but it's really current that does the heating. You'd use twice the power to get the same current with twice the voltage.

N
addict
addict
N
How do builders brew up on site? How do you cope on holiday? How do you have a cup when someone is cooking? How do students stay alive? How do you bear it, poor lambs?

Cept maybe for the builders, I think the answer may be ... microwaves. I guarantee you'll find those on the telly, and in every dorm room on most campuses. Especially since most people over here probably use teabags instead of loose tea. Pop a mug of water in the micro and...voila!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i have an electic kettle--looks sort of like the one Judy and Lionell have--As Time Goes By-but shorter

but most of us have 4 burner stoves (and many have 6 burner stoves!) and Microwave ovens, and coffee machines, and few of us drink tea (i occationally drink ice tea, but drink hot tea only if forced to!)

More than not having kettle, many in USer's don't have tea pots!--Certainly tea drinkers usually do, but even many tea drinkers just make tea by the cup, using tea bags. when they are on sale, they cost about a US penny a apeice, and they are used once or twice, and discarded..

i grew up in a tea drinking house, so i have several tea pots, and friend who drink tea, are surprised and delighted when i make a pot of tea for them (in a two cup tea pot, just using tea bags!) at least 2 do not have tea pots in there own homes! --which i think is weird! if you are going to drink tea, you should brew it by the pot! and not by the cup!

electic tea kettles can often be found in offices, where there might be plenty of outlets, but no stove. (but often there is a microwave oven, and people heat water in the Microwave.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How do you bear it, poor lambs?

Mostly USns drinks coffee anyway.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith