wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
varigate

variola
n.
5ModL < ML, a pustule, prob. altered (based on L varius, various, mottled: see VARY) < L varus, pustule, pimple: see VARIX6 any of a group of virus diseases characterized by pustular eruptions, including smallpox, cowpox, and horsepox

variolate - to inoculate virus from pustule on a patient with mild smallpox into skin of a child or other person, hoping for development of a very mild case of smallpox, which would prevent later serious case of smallpox. For an example of how bad smallpox used to be, in Dumas’ Three Musketeers, he says Milady de Winter was beautiful because she had only a few facial pocks, (and had lost only a couple teeth).

varioliform - a disease with rash similar but not as disfiguring as smallpox

varrio - a variant of ‘barrio” = part of a city inhabited by Spanish speaking people

vasculature, vasculitis, vase (ye Gods and little fishes) vasopressor - a medication that elevates blood pressure, vastitude,

vaticinal
adj.
5< L vaticinus (see fol.) + 3AL6 having the nature of or characterized by prophecy; prophetic

vaticination, , vaulted, vaunt, vaunted, vector, vectored,, veer, veery = a small brown thrush, vegan = excessively convinced of value of avoiding meat, vegetablize, veiled, veiltail, veinless,

velveret - a kind of velvet having a cotton backing

venatorial - pertaining to huntaing

vendible, venial, veniremen - candidates for jury duty. venomous, ventiduct

Ventiduct \Ven"ti*duct\, n. [L. ventus wind + ductus a leading,
conduit, fr. ducere, ductum, to lead.]
A passage for wind or air; a passage or pipe for ventilating
apartments. --Gwilt.

ventrally - towards surface of abdomen, ventriloquical, vemtriloquize, ventriloquy, venture,

verbicide = Promiscuity of expression, loss of sensitivity to words,

veerbigerate, verbosity

#109249 08/04/03 11:54 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
veniremen - candidates for jury duty

You've just informed me what I am to be when I call the federal court system the evening of August 22nd: I shall place the call as a venireman.

#109250 08/05/03 09:40 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
place the call as a venireman.

If that doesn't get you disqualified, nothing will.

#109251 08/05/03 10:45 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Why disqualified, Faldage? Couldn't the venire be the panel from which a jury is drawn who place calls to the federal court phone system the night before possibly reporting to the court? The automated response system indicates whether we report or not for the two-week period we're requested to place the calls nightly. If we're told to report the next day, then we do and the venire is whittled down to the jury. That's my understanding.

Another possibility would be that we are not considered to be the venire until the first group--the telephoning group--reports to the court at which point we become the venire from which the attorneys form the jury.

The federal system is somewhat different from the county-level system in determining jurors.

Now please tell me what I wrote that I'm not *seeing* so I can avoid disqualification.

Here's another related term from MW:

venire facias: a judicial writ directing the sheriff to summon a specified number of qualified persons to serve as jurors

#109252 08/05/03 11:30 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
why disqualified

They don't want people who know too much.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 765 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith