About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#10847 11/22/00 10:09 PM
L
L
I do agree that mixing clear (I mean not flavoured) vodka with juice is both a waste of the alcohol and the juice. I could never get used to the idea of mixing different spirit-based beverages in one drink, though. And (having read this you'll probably think of me as of a fur-wrapped barbarian) - I can't stand whiskey!

#10848 11/23/00 03:16 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Oy vey, this board is just hopeless sometimes. But, if I DO find the word I am looking for, I will post it here to illustrate what you guys have missed while you were gazing (a bit too lovingly?) into your bottles.
In Good Cheer,
MM

#10849 11/23/00 05:47 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

My dictionary defines transliterate "To represent (letters or words) in the corresponding characters of another language."

How does this differ from borrow or loaner words?

I suppose the difference is that transliteration is the transfer from one writing system to another where the primary motivation is probably to enable someone who is unable to read the original script to have a fair go at pronouncing the word. Whether those using the target writing system will then adopt the word into their language (i.e., borrow it) is another issue. Petros would be a transliteration of the Greek word for stone, which we have borrowed for the combining form petro- and the name Peter.

Bingley

Bingley
#10850 11/23/00 01:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

Oy vey, this board is just hopeless sometimes. But, if I DO find the word I am looking for...

well meta², if you DO find the word you're looking for we'll have to try our utmost to spread it around, as the phrase "transcribe phonetically" abounds on the internet.

-joe (I did like the claim "I'm transcribing *morpho-phonemically*") friday

#10851 11/23/00 03:37 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
I prefer flavoured brands myself and I can recommend you all the famous 'Zubrowka'

Lucasz, you neglect to mention the absolutely splendid Wisniowka (cherry vodka), and also Sliwowicza (sp?) (plum brandy).

The former is drunk cold, neat and far too quickly. I can't recommend it highly enough, especially as a winter drink.

The latter is on a par with poteen again. Demonic stuff, but you start tasting the plums after about the third glass.

Sto lat!

#10852 11/23/00 03:42 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
memes...cultures cross boundaries

Indeed they do, Helen. Even well before the Web.

The Evolution of Drink is a fascinating subject. maybe we should have started another thread, though!

Oops.

#10853 11/23/00 03:43 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks, tsuwm, and please, all, forgive the testiness of my last post. I am a struggling college student programmed to tenaciously seek "answers", and sometimes decorum and protocol get swept away. It's a hazard of living in textbooks with no social life. I'll probably be a crusty old buzzard long before my time.
MM

#10854 11/24/00 11:49 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
please, all, forgive the testiness of my last post

It was a well-made point, matemate, and no offence was taken.

Some day we'll keep threads strictly on track and we'll just answer the question. And we definitely won't be lured into interesting little sub-threads. Definitely not in Q&A.
Never!

Perhaps tomorrow..

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
metameta, looks to me like your question was answered swiftly, by ammelah. In a "duh" moment, I was trying to come up with something more specific, but "transcribe" is what you do when you write something phonetically.

Oh, and Bridget, thank you for that! I've never studied any languages ouside the Indo-European family. I'm still wondering, though, how Feng Shui for example is transliterated as such when I'm given to understand it's pronounced more like "Fung Shway."

B
addict
addict
B
>I'm still wondering, though, how Feng Shui for example is transliterated as such when I'm given to understand it's pronounced more like "Fung Shway."<

Anna, you're right about the pronunciation, and put like that, I have no idea! Just the way they set up the rules in first place, I guess.

Hung, tongue...
Why not feng?

English spelling and pronunciation are far from a one-to-one match. The blessing of both the common transcriptions (transliterations? I don't know any more!) from Chinese is that once you know how to pronounce a combination of letters, you know how to pronounce it. It's consistent.

English speakers, on the other hand, live with such terrors as the [though, through, thought, bough, cough, enough] group of words, then complain that languages such as Chinese are too hard because 'you can't tell how to pronounce them.'

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 631 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith