About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#105458 06/13/03 12:08 PM
veteran
veteran

Interestingly (or maybe not) there's a coworker of a coworker where I work who actually worked with RPF and said the same thing.

I'm not sure which books you mean, though, his pseudo-autobiographical books or the ones like "Six Easy Pieces?" I can understand dislike of his conceit that comes through in the former, but the latter books are brilliant. He has a method of cutting right to the important stuff with just the right amount of supporting detail.

Examples:
1) his discussion of symmetry in SEP
2) his explanation of energy and entropy in FLOP (I gotta believe the acronym is intentional) is extremely clear and has been borrowed by others to make the points.

k

#105459 06/13/03 12:47 PM
veteran
veteran

Feynman , the biography by James Gleick.

I think the title of the book is Genius. Not to start a reading preference war, but I find Gleick a little irritating. It's a good read, but I kept wanting more and more personal interaction stuff (with other scientists) and it wasn't there. Nevertheless, it is easy, it's worth the time, and there's some very interesting and maybe surprising details. For example, Gleick says that an IQ test given to F in highschool gave a score of 126. This is nothing to sneeze at, really, but on a wild stab I'd guess nearly every reader of this forum is at least that high, and most probably higher. (Okay, I don't believe IQ is 'really' intelligence, per se, but that score is still a big surprise BECAUSE the kinds of things tested on IQ tests is exactly the kind of thing at which RPF excelled.)

My preference in the science biography thing is the autobiography. Marc Kac's "Enigmas of Chance," for example, or Heisenberg's "Physics and Beyond." I love this stuff.

Kac has an interesting take on Feynman, btw. He says that there are two kinds of genius. As is always the case with me, I can't recall the specifics, but my assimilation is this: The first kind of genius, you look at what the person has done and you think to yourself, "Man, if I had tried harder, worked smarter, or done this instead of that, I just *MIGHT* have come up with this myself." The second kind of genius, you look at what the person has done and you think to yourself, "This is magic! How could this person possibly have gotten from point A to point B? Even after the steps are revealed, it still seem like mysticism." (I'm quoting a hypothetical person in my assimilated and faulty understanding, and not the actual book.) Feynman, Kac says, is an example of the latter kind of genius.

I guess my reaction to snotty and condescending people is the same as Father Steve's. I'm also repulsed by them. OTOH, I work with a LOT of people who are a lot smarter than I'll ever be (not to mention most of my friends are a lot smarter). These people have varying supplies of patience and other social skills. I've learned to appreciate them for what they offer and not necessarily for what I expect them to be.

Way off the subject:
When I was a freshman, a new sophomore came, a filthy rich, spoiled snotty guy who was also very smart. He invited me to come to the lab where he was tutoring. The girl was trying to write a FORTRAN program that would multiply to arrays. He gave a lecture to her, essentially writing the important section of code to her. Now I did something stupid. If I'd been minding my manners, I should have understood that it's not an invited guest's place to question the teacher, but it's not easy (not for me at least) to know what the right thing to do is on the spur of a the moment. I said simply, "I don't think that's right." I didn't say this in a nasty way or a gotcha kinda way, but in a sincere and maybe even self-effacing way, I swear. Suddenly, this fellow I hardly knew at the time rips into me - for about 10 to 15 minutes - maybe longer he keeps ripping me, yelling calling me every kind of idiot imaginable, making devastating use of sarcasm. I never said a word in reply. His student was mortified. I realized my mistake and felt horrible myself, but I didn't know what else to do other than stand there, take it, and give him a chance to cool off. Eventually he does cool off and he asks me state my point. I ask three questions, the first two of which he answers very quickly: "When you multiply a 5 by 5 matrix by a 5 by 5 matrix, what do you get?" "Another 5 x 5 matrix, of course." "Okay, if you have a new 5 by 5 matrix, that means you somehow have to define all the elements of the new matrix, for example, say there must be an element (3,4), correct?" "Of course." "Very good, then, how do you get element (3,4) from that algorithm?"

He pauses for maybe 5 minutes and doesn't say a word while he looks through the program and finally he says, very meekly, "You know ... you're right." That was it. After that we were always very good friends. He never said another bad word to me, never lost his temper - in fact, he always seemed uncommonly polite. He became my teacher for PASCAL (another computer language) and I learned the finer points of recursion (cool programming technique) and a few other things from him. I feel bad that he never learned anything from me. (Being a freshman, I didn't have much to offer.)

This is not my only experience like this. I'm not saying we should tolerate bad behavior, but it's easy, I think, to get caught up in the snottiness of it all and fail to appreciate what the other person does bring to the table.

(BTW, this matrix thing is no great feat. The mathematician(s) in here will attest that this is trivial stuff, and it's very easy to make a simple error in programming. Even brilliant programmers get bugs.)

k

#105460 06/13/03 01:17 PM
veteran
veteran

If you liked Surely, you're Joking, Mr Feynman, you may also like

Science:
"Six Easy Pieces" by RPF
"The Character of Physical Law." by RPF
(Actually I think the stuff about symmetry I mentioned in the other post was from this second title instead of the first.)

History:
"Longitude" by Dava Sobel (which we discussed a bit in here some time ago).
This is extremely good and very easy to read.

Autobiographies:
"Enigmas of Chance" by Marc Kac
"Physics and Beyond" by Werner Heisenberg
"What is Life" by Erwin Schroedinger
(One of the SJ Gould books talks a bit about his interaction with his dad, but I don't recall which one ... maybe Panda's Thumb, but I'm not sure.)

(Also there's a great biography of Herman Helmholtz I read way back in junior high, but i can't think of the title, but it was a small orange paperback.)

Fiction:
"Cambridge Quintet," by John Casti, hypothetical dinner and conversation (in the vein CP Snow's The Two Cultures or maybe something like Steve Allen's Meeting of the Minds - in fact, Snow is the host in the story!)

On my list to read
"I am a Mathematician" Norbert Wiener (a friend gave it high ratings)
Oppenheimer's autobiography (forgot the title)
Gödel: A Life of Logic, the Mind, and Mathematics
I, Asimov

k

#105461 06/13/03 01:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Even brilliant programmers get bugs.

I have long espoused Fischer's Corollary: In any piece of software there are at least five bugs. This holds true even after you remove a bug. (iterate as needed)

BTW, I agree with everything that's been said about Feynman; genius, egotistical, great read--not uncommon traits to find conjoined; take, e.g., Isaac Asimov.

#105462 06/13/03 01:46 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Genius it is.

I think one of the most endearing things about this board is the enthusiasm everyone shows in recommending more and favorite books, whenever anyone asks about one!

#105463 06/13/03 01:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
an IQ test given to F in highschool gave a score of 126

I wouldn't put it past him to have decided what IQ he wanted people to think he had and have taken the test in such a way as to get that IQ.

#105464 06/13/03 02:09 PM
veteran
veteran

I wouldn't put it past him to have decided what IQ he wanted people to think he had and have taken the test in such a way as to get that IQ.

Maybe. I've heard that theory before. Teenagers love playing pranks. But generally they don't intentionally do things that might adversely affect their college admissions.

Seems just as likely to me that smarter people often see ambiguity where others (including test designers) see clarity (and vice versa).

k

#105465 06/13/03 02:58 PM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Gee whiz - don't you folks ever read anything light?
Tess and physics and all that are just tooooo heavy for summertime reading!
As to "Mrs.'arris" are you aware a movie was made of the book ? Not bad. I read it years ago and enjoyed it.
In the same vein "The Duchess of Duke Street" is a goodie.

#105466 06/13/03 03:29 PM
V
V
Try The Mayor of Casterbridge.
thanks, birdfeed , I've seen it on a shelf and I'll definitely try it.

"Longitude" by Dava Sobel (which we discussed a bit in here some time ago).
This is extremely good and very easy to read.

but awfully difficult to translate. i am racking my brains over all "midshipmen", "king's ransoms" etc. one day AWAD will be inundated by my questions about it

#105467 06/13/03 03:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
most recently read and recommended (but neither of which I would call "light"):

The Gate, by Francois Bizot - the only Westerner to be imprisoned by the Khmer Rouge and live to tell the tale

Mystic River, by Dennis Lehane - Crime Noir

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 752 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith