Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bingley-- you failed me! I was sure as i read the thread you would point out there is a actually a term for the process-- ( i have heard it, but it was a fleeting reference.)
there is a term for Adler becoming Alder, and Pretty becoming Pertty-- where a letter is transposed in pronounceation. Could it be a pertty effect? do you know the term? I think you must! if i have come across it in reading, you must have! Of course is I wrote from home, where i have a nice selection of reference books, in stead of from work....

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Helen, I am not the accomplishèd Bingley, but I think when letters are transposed, it is called a reversal.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
gee, I thought that the transposition of letters was called a "transposition of lettres".
but seriously, there is a linguistic term that is used for the transposition of two phonemes (letters or sounds) in a word: [b/metathesis. examples of this are seen in the development of the word 'crud' from 'curd' and the (mis)pronunciation of 'pretty' as 'perty'!

see also Anu's own entry on metathesis: http://wordsmith.org/awad/archives/0500

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Metathesis also explains why we have three and third rather than three and thrid.

Bingley

Bingley
old hand
old hand
Metathesis also explains why we have three and third rather than three and thrid.
Ok, but we still have thread - so why does metathesis strike in one place but not in another? I think we are onto something very subtle here. BTW, I always thought that phonemes were sound units (rendered in general by several letters) not just vowels or consonants. Each language has familiar and less familiar phonemes. So "adl" in English is an unfamiliar phoneme (it doesn't occur in any genuine word, to my knowledge), whereas e.g. "oodl" or "atl" are familiar ones, which would not be changed to "oold" or "alt".

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I don't think anyone knows why metathesis or any other linguistic change occurs. The best we can do is to say with some precision what has happened, not why it happened.

A phoneme is indeed a sound unit. Change the phoneme and you have the possibility of changing the word. (For example in word change the phoneme /d/ to the phoneme /k/ and you get work instead of word.) But phonemes are not exactly the same as sounds because different languages divide up the possible sounds available into different phonemes. For example, /l/ and /r/ are different phonemes in English but the same phoneme in Japanese, hence their problems with River Valley Road. If you listen carefully, you will discover that the English /l/ is pronounced differently at the beginning and end of syllables. I'm told that in Welsh each of these realisations of the English phoneme (called allophones) is a different phoneme and can occur in any position.

I hope the above isn't too addled for you to understand. (Sorry wseiber, not a word non-native speakers are likely to come across very often.)

Bingley

Bingley
#10167 11/14/00 09:58 AM
old hand
old hand
I hope the above isn't too addled for you to understand.

Not fair -- the sound in addled is not the same as that in Adler. Now, ad lib, badly, sadly and others have the same (or nearly the same) sound values. But I don't think they're common. Of course, if you ignore the vowel sound and focus upon the consonants alone, you get some interesting ("swings both ways"?) combinations: baldly, boldly, wildly and the like. If we can pronounce those, then we can pronounce Adler.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
It sounds like the people who can't pronouce your name have never heard of the famous harmonica player.

http://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/ahc/exhibits/adler/

or perhaps they pronounced his name wrong too!

#10169 11/15/00 04:18 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

the sound in addled is not the same as that in Adler

True, but the difference, at least in my pronunciation, is not in the vowel but in the allophone of /l/ being used (a final "dark" /l/ rather than an initial "clear" /l/.

Bingley

Bingley
#10170 11/15/00 02:20 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Let me thank everyone, I have learned a lot. I am obviously in the company of experts and I hesitate to say anything. That being said, when I try to pronounce 'adl' I have to do a lot more with my tongue and mouth than when I try to pronounce 'ald'. I wonder if this could be a factor.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 932 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith