R
rav Offline OP
OP Offline
R
simply happy easter

#101198 04/18/03 04:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Indeed, Rav. And happy Passover and Beltaine and all spring fests!

#101199 04/18/03 07:50 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"Here comes Peter Cottontail, Hopping down the bunny trail ..."
wishing you all a happy day on Sunday ... and lots of yummy chocolate - white or dark, whatever is your pleasure.
Aloha and Blessings,
Wow

#101200 04/18/03 10:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How DID Easter get to be called "Easter" in English when so many other languages call it "Pasch" or "Pasqua" or some other derivation of the Hebrew word "Pesach" (which means Passover)?

There are multiple theories.

The majority theory derives from the Venerable Bede, an 8th Century monk in Britain who said that it derived from the name of an Anglo-Saxon goddess -- Eastre -- who was all about spring and ferility and flowers blooming and such. The idea is not that the Celtic Christians of Britain were celebrating a pagan festival instead of an orthodox Easter but rather that they were keeping the feast of the resurrection of our Lord at the time of the spring festival of Eastre, and (typically) borrowed her name.

Another interesting theory, less widely accepted, is that the name derives from the practice of those newly baptised on Easter Day to wear their white baptismal garments (albs) for the whole of the following week. The week came to be know, in Latin, as "hebdomada alba" or "white week." The theory suggests that this was corrupted to "albae" which, when it was translated into German, was mistaken for the Latin plural for "dawn" and thus rendered in High German as "Eostarum" which the Brits corrupted into Easter.

Who knows?

Whatever you are celebrating this weekend, may it be a happy occasion for you.

Father Steve

#101201 04/21/03 01:08 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Whatever you are celebrating this weekend, may it be a happy occasion for you.
Ditto. I took a brief look on the 'net, and the Eastre theory seems to be the more popular of the two. I have had a tiring, but good, two days. Much of yesterday was spent in preparation for today: my Sunday School class puts on an Easter brunch for the church, so we set up and cooked what we could, and I made a bunch of crepes here at home. Plus, all the rain we've been having had made the grass, and even more obviously the dandelions, take off; the front of the church looked terrible. Somebody said the hired person had been told not to cut the grass until the roof repairs were all done, so I took our lawn mower down and mowed. The brunch went really well, as did the service. This afternoon was the family gathering. Gorgeous spring weather; earth bedecking herself.
I am SO glad to see you posting again, you dear man!(blush)

#101202 04/21/03 03:41 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In the Episcopal Church, it is not unusual to celebrate Easter twice: once the night before and again on the morning of. The first one is called "The Great Vigil of Easter" and takes place after the sun goes down on Holy Saturday. It is a service filled with symbols of light. At the beginning, the celebrant strikes new fire from which wax tapers are lit, from which the Paschal Candle is lit, and then there is much singing about the light. I am pleased to report that I managed to strike new fire (again) this year without setting my vestments aflame.

The tradition of crepes on Easter results from the tradition of a severe fast during Lent, in which neither eggs nor fat nor white sugar were consumed between Ash Wednesday and Easter Day. The folks who so abstained were so happy to be freed of these dietary restrictions that they made crepes (with eggs, sugar and butter) to break all of these fasting rules at once.

At our house, I kept the Easter Feast by roasting a leg of lamb in the Greek fashion: boned and stuffed with garlic, onion, kalamata olives, lemon juice and wads of fresh oregano.

The blush, by the by, is on MY face, to have such nice things said about me by so wonderful a person as our Jackie.

Happy Easter!

Father Steve

#101203 04/21/03 04:21 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It's good to see you posting again, Padre. I hope all is well with you professionally and personally.

Ah, burning vestments - that reminds me. When I was younger, the priest in the local Anglican parish (St Mary's Mornington) was, unlike you, well disliked. He had the pastoral approach of the Cray brothers - you were either with him or agin him, and if you were agin him you'd better watch your back. The priest before him had been the "typical" pastoralist, visits to old folks and the sick, the welcoming and inclusive type, a nice guy, so having this new fellow turn up with his "business-like" attitude was a bit of a shock for the folks, including my mother who was involved at the time with the Girl Guide movement and, by extension, with the church.

One Sunday, a neighbour of Mum's was at church, and the priest's surplus caught fire from a candle. He didn't notice it immediately, and was told about it by someone in the congregation. Apparently he put the fire out somehow, but it was accompanied by a lot of swearing and unseemly cursing. This shocked the people in the church, most of whom were older.

There appeared to be little sympathy for him, and he left soon after. Not sure if the two were connected!

#101204 04/21/03 07:52 PM
N
addict
addict
N
Hope it was only the surplus surplices that burned up, Cap.

#101205 04/21/03 09:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And Happy Smigus Dyngus.

#101206 04/21/03 09:06 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Okay, okay. Spotted it immediately. You live too close to Ithaca, Nancy. It's catching!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith