Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#100194 04/10/03 05:48 AM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
men do household cleaning, both in the domestic sphere - especially as contract cleaners - and in the hotel trade.

Whoa--I am so glad to know that! Thank you. Possibly there are some here in the U.S., then, too. There is hope yet! <eg> ~ Jackie

Jackie, are you suggesting that, in the US, ladies who clean don't do the job too well?

#100195 04/11/03 01:27 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
are you suggesting that, in the US, ladies who clean don't do the job too well?
dixbie, c'mere a minute--I have something for you.

#100196 04/11/03 07:07 AM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
"Exeunt left pursued by a bear."

Bill S.

#100197 04/11/03 01:53 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Stop that exeunting, thy cowardly knave, or I shall bear you a grudge! [pounce]

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
On a tangent - (Ha!) - Donkey's years ago I ran a hotel. At that time (1950s) it was common to leave a tip for the chamber maid. Usually a dollar for a weekend.
Nowadays it is one dollar for each night... left on the pillow to signal it is for the maid. I always do it for the reason Jackie mentioned - maids are usually working for minimum wage. Then, if the maid gives me extra service I leave a few dollars at the end of an extended stay (a week or more) as at a resort.
The last time I stayed at a hotel (four nights) the maid told me I was the only one on her floor who left a tip. I was amazed!
Now, am I alone in this tipping thing ? (Even if I am I intend to keep up the custom.)
I am interested in your comments.
OK! One-Two-Three- GO!

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I never knew you ran a hotel--mercy, I couldn't imagine being able to do something like that. I confess I do not tip hotel/motel maids regularly; never if it's just me for one night. As a matter of fact I never even heard of the practice until I was well into adulthood and saw where someone had written to Ann Landers (agony aunt, by way of explanation to you cross-ponders) about it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Certainly. Here in Aurora we have a small company of housecleaners, all of whom are retired cops, and, so far as I know, all of them male except one. Bonding a retired cop is a lot less expensive than bonding someone off the street so to speak.

We had one of these guys cleaning our house for several years, and he did a great job. Then we just drifted back to doing it for ourselves, NOT as successfully, mind you.

You would think, now that I am home full time I would have a clean home. HAH! With two or three projects all going at the same time, it's impossible. Yesterday at 8 AM I started ripping up the floor in Sasha's room. By half past twelve I had completely replaced the floor with new laminate flooring and had even started replacing the moulding. But that required moving everything out of the room, which created gargantuan messes everywhere else. I could not believe one child of five could have so much s--t in her room. Under her bed I found a stack of at least 40 books, guarded by about twenty beany babies of sports figures.

She greeted the new room with one request, "You didn't throw away my books, did you?"

Peggy says we're going to have to teach her to type so she can start participating here. The other day at dinner she said, "May I be excused? I want to go be incorrigible." Still haven't figured out where she picked that up.

TEd
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>The other day at dinner she said, "May I be excused? I want to go be incorrigible."

In the immortal words of Brian's cellmate - http://maxqnz.com/lb.wav

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sure, TEd, send her around, we'd be glad to teach her all kinds of words...<eg>

#100203 04/23/03 01:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When I was growing up we always called the man (and it was always a man) who worked maintenance in the school the janitor. It wasn't seen as a very dignified job, but most janitors were considered part of our school "family" and befriended by the students as well. Except for one guy, in a two-year (5th and 6th grade) school we were bussed to, who was also given the job of maintaining discipline in the lunchroom and ran it like a boot camp, barking orders with the intensity and wild eye of a Drill Instructor...Mr. Branch, I'll never forget him. Nobody liked him much, mostly out of fear (till after a while, when you figured out his bark was worse than his bite and that he was actually a nice guy)...but we all respected him, and he certainly kept an orderly lunchroom! But as the years went by, it became more appropriate to use the the term custodian or custodial engineer...now, it seems, we've settled on custodian.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,352
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 494 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,550
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith