Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#100174 04/06/03 02:34 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Yesterday morning, out in the hallway of the hotel, a couple of maids were talking loudly back and forth. This morning, from behind my closed door, I again heard loud voices, one of which was male. That got me to wondering--is there a male counterpart for maid?

#100175 04/06/03 05:11 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
in "Upstairs, Downstairs" the male servants were footmen. a valet is a man's man.

#100176 04/06/03 05:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And I guess nowadays both sexes would be referred to as housekeepers (cf 'flight attendants' or 'letter carriers').

#100177 04/07/03 10:59 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Footmen clean houses? I guess the real point of my post was: ARE there men who clean buildings for a living? (I'm assuming that the male voice I heard was either a customer or a maintenance...man (speaking of stereotypes). Housekeeper would indeed cover both; but for the life of me, I could not think of a single instance that I had ever read about or heard of where hired housecleaning service was performed by a male. Certainly I can't think of a word that, in the way we know instantly what a maid does, would mean the same work but done by a man. Come to think of it, I've never known much about what a footman does other than help people in and out of carriages.

#100178 04/07/03 11:10 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
where hired housecleaning service was performed by a male

You used to could say the same thing about stewardesses
or nurses. The former needed a name change.

#100179 04/07/03 12:03 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
We used to have a maid service in New Zealand where the usual term is "home help". The last one we had was a solo father. He was brilliant. Still called him the "home help", though.

- Pfranz

#100180 04/07/03 12:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Re:Footmen clean houses?

Footmen started in ancient rome--where superstition had it to be bad luck to cross the threshold with your left foot...
(i think the superstition persisted, since we still have the expressions--starting off on the right foot and Putting your best foot forward and others)
the rich had servants (slaves)who opened the door for guests, and watched there feet..

when not doing that, i am sure they found other work for them to do. but the term footman remained-- and in Upstairs, Downstairs, one of the things the footman did was open the door, and usher guests into the house...
Re:ARE there men who clean buildings for a living?
maintenance..(men) are usually considered more skilled.. and are paid slightly higher wages.. it still very sexist. most maids/ and maintenance men are paid very low wages...by the time the maid have enough english and knowledge to know that they could be getting more as maintenance men, they have enough skills to move onto jobs that pay better -- the lowest level of maintenance man is a porter--who is often required to sweep and mop in public areas.

some will say that maintenance men do heavier work, but they obviously are the same people who have never turn a matress.. something maids are expected to do. (sometimes in pairs.. but who cares, turn a matress is heavy work.)

#100181 04/07/03 02:55 PM
M
addict
addict
M
You used to could say the same thing about stewardesses or nurses. The former needed a name change.

I have it on good authority, from a colleague who had some part of his medical training in the Phillipines, that, in a majority of missionary hospitals there, female nurses are called, 'Sisters' and the male nurses are, 'Brothers'.

And yes Jackie, it is indeed hard to conjure up a male version of a maid. It seems to me, that the closest term that could apply to both sexes, is as mentioned above, servant. I personally, hate that word; it is to do with all its connotations, I suppose. I have read of male servants or man-servants, but don't know of one specific word.

Housekeeper is somewhat more managerial isn't it? It isn't quite the nuts and bolts job of a maid. The male version would be a butler, I suppose. Which reminds me of a wonderful film, 'The remains of the day'. Marvellous film. The book is an engrossing read too.

#100182 04/07/03 03:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
missionary hospitals…'Sisters'…'Brothers'.

Sounds like medically trained nuns and monks(?) retaining their non-nurse titles.

#100183 04/07/03 03:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
RE: missionary hospitals…'Sisters'…'Brothers'.
Sounds like medically trained nuns and monks(?) retaining their non-nurse titles.

Could be... but in UK, nurses are so called Sister-- or they were. just as medical doctors and surgens are called mister.. (Mr. not Dr. as they are in US)

but most everyone knows the proper initals, tacked at the end of a name that mean Member of Royal College of Surgens, (yeah, i could have looked it up...but so can you)--something akin to US "board certified"-- where as in US, a goodly percent have no idea what board certified is.

a recent article about health care addressed nursing issues. some hospitals no longer identify Registered Nurses as R.N.'s, and many patients in hospitals are "treated" by health care aides with 4 to 6 weeks of training..

patients might call for a nurse, and get an aid, instead.

(fine of you just need the bedpan, but not so good if your i.v. is coming loose.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,352
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 494 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,550
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith