Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Okay! You all did such a fab job with my plea for help defining 'copywriter' I thought I'd challenge you again.

I call myself a copywriter.

Sometimes I say 'copywriter and editor', as I'll edit people's text, as well as create from scratch. And I've copy-edited books.

Recently, I've been saying 'Web Writer' to get across the speciaism of writing websites. But some designers say I'm losing the chance of writing for print.

And then those definitions:

*copy~writers.. professional writers of advertisements ... a writer of copy for the press; spec. a writer of advertising copy

In fact, I rarely write ads. I do lots of below the line stuff: brochures, leaflets, training manuals, product literature, sales letters ...

... and websites.

So -- is 'Copywriter' the best word? Or 'Technical Writer'? Or 'Business Writer'? Or just plain 'Writer'?

Just thought I'd ask!!

P
veteran
veteran
P
When I saw your lead for this thread, Millymax - "Which word describes me best?"- I was going to say "early-bird". It isn't even 5:30 in the morning yet, at least where I am.

One thing is certain. You are definitely a hyphenated person, Milly-max. There has to be a reason you parachuted into AWADtalk this week of all weeks. The theme of the week is "super-duper" ["airy-fairy", "hubble-bubble"] terms, you know.

But, seriously, "copywriter" is really a hyphenated word, if you think about it: "copy-writer". Now, who writes "copy" any more, Millymax?

Have you ever met a kid today who writes "copy"? Do you think they even know what "copy" is? [Apart from the usual copying that goes on during classroom quizzes, of course.]

So, I would say, Millymax, if you are serious about communicating who you are to your real audience [not just kids], it's time to ditch the "copy", doncha think?

And you're not a "technical writer" either. You are far too creative for that. Anyone can see that already. If you were a "technical writer", you wouldn't be a hyphenated person. "Technical writers" are monocular. You are definitely bi-nocular. You've got a head on your shoulders. "Technical writers" always have their head up their -- er* -- well, you know what I mean, Millymax.

So, why not do yourself a favor. Why not call yourself what you are. You-re a writer, and a hyphenated one at that. You're a damn-good writer! :)

* That not who they are, of course. It's just their job.

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Good grief! What are you doing, up so early????

It's 10.45 over here. Mind you, I still haven't started work. Finding this forum is going to be dangerous! :)

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Oh, Wow! Just read the rest of your post! And so early in the morning, too.

Thank you!

'Copy' is now ditched. It's official.

Me, I'm a Writer!!

Cor! I feel released. Never mind Red Bull giving you wings -- AWADtalk gives you turbo-powered wings!

P
veteran
veteran
P
And so early in the morning, too.

The early-bird gets the worm, Milly-max. :)

D
D
I do lots of below the line stuff: brochures, leaflets, training manuals, product literature, sales letters ...

'Copy' is now ditched. It's official.

Me, I'm a Writer!!

Yes, you are ‘a writer', but I think 'Technical Writer' would be more to the point. Technical writers write all of the documents you mentioned above. Novelists (also writers), write novels; Essayists (also writers), write essays; Poets (also writers) write poetry: they're all writers, but their ‘labels’ are more informative about the kind of things they write. It really all depends on how specific and informative you want to be, and what the point is of putting a label on yourself. If the label is for others, and your intention is to be informative, then ‘Technical Writer’ is more informative. If the label is for you, then what does it really matter? You know what you are and what you do.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 904 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith