Norman; Comment and Analysis: Diary; The Guardian
(London, UK); Jul 27, 1999."

So she was not a happy apparatchik.

#101137 04/17/03 03:58 PM
I
stranger
stranger
I
"apparat - structure, mechanism, etc. of an organization, especially a political one."

I need to add, that described meaning of today's word *apparat*, is only one of a few in Russian language. Other meanings (correlate with the word *apparatus*) are - engine, appliance, device, equipment, gadget, mechanism, machine; in medicine - group of systems united to perform a specific function, e.g. *locomotor* apparat = skeleton + muscles for movement. It might as well came directly from Latin in addition to german route, as most scientific words, and was russianized by omitting 'us' suffix, as we usually do.
Also, a female member of political apparat, as Alice (Mahon) is *apparatchiza* ['z' pronounced as in pizza], and male is *apparatchik*.

Viktor V. Trukov

Viktor V. Trukov
#101138 04/17/03 04:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think out beloved curmudgeon was making a pun.

#101139 04/17/03 04:15 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Blessings on you, Faldage
I have also waited unsuccessfully to jest about Politburo member Furtseva.
Bilingual pun = fart saver

#101140 04/18/03 04:41 PM
I
stranger
stranger
I
Ekaterina Alekseevna Furzeva [pronounsed - foor-ze-va, whith 'z' as in 'pizza '], member of PolitBuro (Political Bureau) of Centralnogo Komiteta (committee) of Kommunisticheskoy Partii of the Soviet Union, she was also a Ministr kultury (Minister of Culture) of the Soviet Union.
Here we see a limitation of translation into a foreign language, where no letters exist to represent particular sound. There is no [-ts-] sound in her familia (family name), and no [ah] sound, as in ... well, 'fart'! Sorry, here goes the bilingual pun...
In russian we have archaic word *fart*, pronounced - [fah-rt] - exactly the same way as 'fart' in English. Means good Fortuna, derived from - right, Latin.
P.s. Letter 'z' is usually used in translations to represent [z] sound, as in Zinger!...

Viktor V. Trukov

Viktor V. Trukov
#101141 04/18/03 05:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If the z is the letter that looks like an upsidedown pi with a little tail in the lower right hand corner we usually transliterate it as ts in English. This would be the letter that is doubled in the Russian word for pizza and the initial letter in the word we normally transliterate as Tsar. The one we transliterate as z in English is the one that looks like the numeral 3 and is the first letter in 3gpaBcmByume = zdravstvuite. Other languages may use other transliteration schemes.

#101142 04/21/03 03:15 PM
I
stranger
stranger
I
Yes, David, agree completely on those usual rules of transliteration. Unfortunately many words lose their original sounding, despite the fact that there are corresponding sounds present in English (seems that there are not enough letters in it)... One example is Eltsin (pronounced with -ts-) when it should be Elzin (pronounced with soft 'l' and 'z' as in pizza). I was spelling it differently on purpose, so that original sounding would be saved!

Viktor V. Trukov

Viktor V. Trukov
#101143 04/21/03 03:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
'z' as in pizza

Now this is where I get confused. To me 'z' as in pizza implies a [ts] sound. See the Afrikaans spelling pietsa.

#101144 04/21/03 03:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Issac Asimov, a writer of both science and science fiction, told a story about his name in his autobiography.

His parents made a point of learning the roman alphabet (they alread were literate in Russian, hebrew and yiddish)before embarking for the americas. During the crossing, they continued to learn english, practicing with other passengers, and the crew.

when they reached ellis island, his father was very proud to be able to answer the imigration clerk with his name, and how to spell it..
A-S-I-M-O-V He was quite sure about it being A-S,not A-Z,
as he once explained to young Issac. It was S just like Zinger Zewing machines!

#101145 04/22/03 05:05 PM
I
stranger
stranger
I
'Z' as in Zoo zone.
To David et al. Sorry for causing such a stir with my humble exercises on transliteration... I really should have looked in IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) first.
1)Letter 'Z' - David correctly described as "the one we transliterate as z in English - that looks like the numeral 3 (in Russian - V.T.) and is the first letter in 3gpaBcmByume = zdravstvuite (means - be healthy, used for saying "Hello" - V.T.)." Letter 'Z' used mainly for representing [z] sound as in Zoo zone. Bet you will not be a dispute here! And it's the only one 'z' sound in Russian Language.

2)The confusion I've caused with 'Z' grew from my attempt to represent the other sound. That of the 23rd letter in Russian alphabet (you can look it up in Unabridged Websters Dictionary, on the inside cover, or on the web), which David correctly described as "that looks like an upside down (Greek - V.T.) 'pi' with a little tail in the lower right hand corner. We usually transliterate it as 'ts' in English." And also: "This would be the letter that is doubled in the Russian word for pizza and the initial letter in the word we normally transliterate as Tsar." Perfect! I also think this sound is "heard" in the word quartz (here comes another turmoil...). That is why I used this letter 'Z' for this sound. Because that is what we, russkie (russians), hear in pizza, and I "heard" Italians pronounced it "just like that", without [ts] sound. We should ask Emanuela to clarify. But, (there is always but, isn't it?) my years of immigrant experience taught me, that people tend to "hear" in foreign languages sounds and forms that are familiar to them. In reality their hearing apparat (after all, we have to stay on the subject!) conducts the foreign sounds to the brain precisely, but the brain can't make a sense of it and relays info to the conscience in the forms of phonetics, that are familiar to the person... That humble almighty brain... The sound is further altered when it is spoken by foreigner, not having corresponding sounds in their native language. When such a speaker is corrected, he is arguing and swears that he heard it "just like that"! In fact he honestly think he did, when he really "heard" it. That is why it is so hard for us, adult immigrantuses, to learn to speak without an accent, if it's at all possible... Excuse us.

Viktor V. Trukov

Viktor V. Trukov
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,373
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith