Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear JazzO: Even without the color "killers" is inflammatory and offensive. It obviously
implies homicidal intent.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Most enlisted people are in a country under the conditions of the status of forces agreement (SOFA) that is negotiated between the US and the goverment of the host country.

SOFAs generally limit the host's right to try our military for crimes committed in that country in favor of the military tribunals which are a part of every military organization in the world.

The anger about the court decision is badly misdirected. If Soojin and others like her are that concerned about the way US soldiers are handled or not handled in the courts there, they need to work to have the SOFA changed. The US, in my opinion, would pull out of South Korea rather than allow for the very great possibility that its forces would be subject to the vagaries of a court system about which we know very little.

I got the opinion from some of the above that Korea may not have a true "innocent until proven guilty" court system. Anyone want to take their chances in a court where you have to prove you're not guilty rather than requiring the prosecution to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt? Any takers? Step right up, folks, show us how much you want the US to stay home and stop protecting the rest of the world.

We're waiting....

TEd
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I've read one of the stories posted above and would like someone point out one in which there's a clear report of what happened--all the known circumstances. It sounds like an accident. I do wonder why were the girls in the road so close to a tank? Tanks are intimidating, and I cannot imagine walking close to one--they are loud and scary. It seems one's instincts would be to walk far away from a tank. But I don't know the circumstances here. Narrow street? Nowhere to run? Nowhere to hide?

And certainly the intent of the driver of the tank was not to kill. This was a tragic accident, and one in which hindsight turns out, again, to be the best guide.

Has anyone read whether any kind of reparation will be paid to the families of the girls who died?

I feel sorrow in considering how the families of the girls must feel, and I hope that they will come to forgive the man who drove the tank.

This is certainly a rare, freak accident, and I hope it will not cause our Korean friends to distrust us or to believe harm was intended.

#88888 12/11/02 01:14 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear TEd: I wondered what clue you had picked up as to soojin's gender.
So I checked. On Thur Feb 28 soojin said he was a man.

#88889 12/11/02 03:52 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
So I checked. On Thur Feb 28 soojin said he was a man.

Thanks Bill, somehow the gender with whom we talk is more important in subtle ways than I have understood.

Example:

It is hard to compliment another male without an aside or an off-handed remark, least, I guess, we be mistook as being gay...

"Hey TEdie-o, I noticed that no one stepped up and accepted your challenge, this is strange, considering how bad we americans have been."

Example:

Hey Wordwind, I thought that your thoughts were well-measured and laudable. With wonderful people like you around, the world should not need people like me.
And Bill. And TEd. And Faldage. And tsuwm. And Whit. And WO'N And Jazzo. And Falliable. And dear Rhuby. And the Fish. And Musick. And Alex. And Wofadoc. And Maverick. And Capital Kiwi. And Inselpeter. And Belligerent Youth. And Stales. And Etoain. And Mahoony. And Cadafi. And of course, the two-fisted fast-drinking bear from Ireland - Hiya. And lasty, Johnny "Guitar" Watson. But for the time being...

Wordwind. We need serious chicks like you.

#88890 12/11/02 10:01 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Milum, chopped liver I may be. But minced birdseed, never.

#88891 12/11/02 11:16 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
No AnnaStrophic you are not Birdseed. Birdseed is Birdseed. You are the good AuntieSkeptic and a terse biting asp. Once when I was young I asked someone if you were the good-side manifestation of a schizoid Faldage. Imagine. Today I know better. You are a bright concise wit and a nice person, more real electronically than most of the people who flesh out our off-screen lives. The only thing mince about you is the brevity of your words.

#88892 12/11/02 10:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I love you, Milum.

#88893 12/11/02 10:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

#88894 12/14/02 01:28 AM
S
soojin Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Thank you very much for your earnest interests.
I want to end this forum.
Thank you.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 755 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith