Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I now believe that this whole thread is motivated by political considerations, and is totally
inappropriate in AWADtalk.

S
soojin Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
We Koreans think that American soldiers are guilty.
But Americans say they are not guilty.
"Not guilty" is wrong.

M
old hand
old hand
M
If you soojin, speak for all South Koreans, then I fear for your Collective Sanity.

Milo Washington.

B
old hand
old hand
B
If this thread speaks for all of us, then I fear our collective humanity.

#88879 12/09/02 02:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re: FF comment far above...But, say a foreign citizen were charged with a crime in this country, and some other country insisted that we didn't have jurisdiction over alleged crimes - in our own country

it happens all the time! from things as simple as a parking ticket, to hit and run, to DWI and even to murder. and these are just the cases i know about. NYC is home to the UN, and so it has a lot of foreign dignitaries who claim "diplomtic" immunity. or are whisked out of the country so fast it would make your head spin. and for the most part, we (the US government and the NYC police and press) keep it quiet. NYC every couple of years makes noise about "parking tickets"-- usually after an onerous crime... it is safe issue to make noise about. diplomatic parking is an issue. One diplomat parked blocking a hydrant. there was a fire, and in NYC (and other cities policies) the fire men just knocked out the windows and ran the hoses throught the car. the diplomat was pissed and wanted to sue the city for damages. so what a house was on fire, and lives were at stake.

the fact is, every one plays by the same set of rules. most diplomats are exempt from being prosocuted under US Law, even for crimes committed on US soil. (some have asked for and recieved political refugee status-- and "defected" to US. it easier to do 10 to 20 years in sing sing than back home. )

i have not read all of the thread about the details, and don't know the facts about this the case that started this thread. but i do know, US millitary and diplomates are entitled to be tried in US courts by US Law, just as foreign diplomates are entitled to be tried by their laws for crime they have committed in US. We (in NYC) honor the law. we expect other to honor the law too. in the end, things work out.

#88880 12/09/02 03:01 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I haven't read the link - I couldn't open it and I rarely go back. I assumed the link was to a news story. No, I wasn't American bashing, but pointing out that soojin had not made a personal statement, just provided a link and said he was sorrowful.

After reading a couple of the new links, I can only come to the conclusion that you are right, and that he is making a statement.

I don't for a minute believe that the soldiers deliberately ran the girls over. However, although I agree with the principle of diplomatic immunity (having travelled on a dip passport for a couple of years), I don't necessarily believe that soldiers who are not directly attached to a diplomatic mission should have it. Having said that, I suspect that justice, in this case, would not have been done in South Korea, so it's just as well that the soldiers got their hearing in an American court.

- Pfranz

#88881 12/09/02 05:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Fair enough, Cap. I could only assume you had read the initial link. I retract my assumptions about your post.

- WO'N

#88882 12/10/02 12:25 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Just in case anybody doubts the validity of my saying elisted men do not ever get
whitewashed by courts-martial, read this article:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?G6AE236B2

R
rav Offline
R
this discussion is empty. it's other mentality, other people, other law. you wan't understand each other.

J
old hand
old hand
J
Calm down about the "blood" red, guys. That's just a function of the search capabilities of the website. It highlights every instance of what you search for, same as on this site.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 755 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith