Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#85965 11/06/02 04:35 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
- - - and if yours aren't rising, Maurice, then put them in storage: the time is coming when those of us on the barricades will need every weapon we can lay our hands on.

#85966 11/06/02 05:09 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Maurice,

There are fruit cakes I've tried--just to be polite--that nearly broke my teeth.

If your rock cakes are harder than these fruit cakes, they must be lethal, at least to enamel.

Do tell us what's inside of them even though food threads have been generally avoided on AWAD.

Thanks,
WW

#85967 11/06/02 05:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've always enjoyed Stone Soup, and make it quite often, but I have a feeling Rock Cake is a bit of a leg-pull.

#85968 11/06/02 05:37 PM
C
C
There is a song in the play/movie "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas," sung by just the sort of politician the original post described (and, yes, George W., like Jerry Springer, is NOT representative of Americans on the whole) that was titled "Oooh, I Like to Dance a Little Sidestep!" It involved the politician purposely evading reporters' questions and then bragging about how much non-information he had communicated (sic).

I've heard the term "side-stepper" used in this context.

#85969 11/06/02 06:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
maurice , i agree..(re: I would contend that a forum of intellectual "sparring" and thought is an ideal place to take apart theories and invidivuals of politics and current affairs.

but this isn't really a a forum of intellectual "sparring" and thought -- even though a lot of that goes on... this is anarchic (Jackie, the only moderator here, does the least bit of moderating possible, and is extremely reluctant to ever close a thread, and getting her to delete a post takes an extreme situation) and largely self moderating forum for discusions about words and word use.

over time, we have realized that politial discussions, by there very nature, tend to get heated, and we like cool head here!

now if you want to mock a particular word or phrase of Dubya, (see nuclear!) go right ahead.. if you hear a politial or public figure of any any stripe using (or mis-using) an interesting word, and want to discuss the word in question, we will.

if you think words have been mis-used, or there meaning has been total warped by the political process, we can discuss how 'double speak' is alive in well in the political world... but if you want to discuss politics... i suggest you find a political forum.
(but keep coming back here with the words you find there that interest you, since they might well interest us too!)

you state:I think all people in authority should be subject to scrutiny from ALL forums be they electronic or otherwise.
another bit of anarchy there isn't there? or is it? if every forum is a political forum, (at your wish and command) then your purpose for posting here is to undermine the stated purpose of this forum, and to change it from a word related forum (one that many of us enjoy, as it is) into an yet other political forum..that is not anarchy, that is revolution, with you as the leader!

well it's curious.. how anarchy works.. we are successful at being a word forum, without a moderator telling how to behave... generaly the post here are not lewd, or nasty, or hurtful..again, all self control on the part of the people who post here. i think you'll find us very effective at moderating and resisting change, with out any external moderator enforcing the rules.
(rules? we ain't got no stinkin rules!)

the discussion on feminism, which was getting way to political, well it got stopped.. Vika and i have exchanged PM's, (several during the time the thread was active) and agreed to disagree, and to end the thread, since this really isn't the place for it.. each of us, continued to communicate via, PM's, making sure that the discusion did not become a issue between us... and musick came in, and 'turned' the discussion to a more lighthearted one.. and i took the hint.
and that was in Misc, not in the Q & A about Wordsthreads, were thing are a bit looser!

i really would have prefered to post this privately... but you have elected to not accept private messages. and my post is rather heavy handed, but then tact and finese are not my strong point! but i read you post as a bit of challenge.
but i could be wrong, (see bowlderizing!) goodness knows, i have been wrong many times! Still, inspite of that, i want you to stay around and enjoy our word play, and join in.
(i realized, i tend to use ! (exclamation points) the way some people use and , to indicate a lightheartedness that i think my post is missing-- i have edited out half of them, and still it reads like a teen age school girl... as you stumble across the, think of them as commands to remember, i am trying to be smiling, and cheerful in my tone)

#85970 11/07/02 11:20 AM
M
Maurice Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you for that extensive post.
I appreciate that wordplay and the exploration of words is the purpose for this site and it is neither the forum for polemic nor for ideological posturing or political point-scoring.
However I would still contend that the way in which we think about words and how we use them for whatever desired outcome we wish and politics is for good or for ill a significant part of this, if we define politics as how we think about the world and how we plan our economies, our services, and our systems.
Whilst this is not the venue for politics as such, the relationship between words and politics and the use and abuse of the nuance and power of words is a vital and, I think, interesting angle to explore on these pages.
I hope I have not been abusing the ethos of this site with political references but I think the wider discussions of words relating to politics is fascinating and the freedom to discuss these is valuable. Politics should only be a dirty word in the sense of party point-scoring. Some might say "the personal is the political" and that politics permeates every attitude and action which may or may not be the case. However, I would suggest that politics should be a part of the rich tapestry of subjects discussed and looked into on this site in relation to how words are used and abused.

Must go and do some gardening.

#85971 11/07/02 01:19 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Maurice; Your command of English is impressive. I quite agree that there are many
words relating to politics well worth discussing. Please propose some. Tsuwm gave "psephology"
as the study of elections. Hope I spelled it correctly. Candidates try to exhibit charisma.
Chads complicate ballot tallying. Carry on from there, please.

#85972 11/07/02 03:57 PM
M
Maurice Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Gerrymandering. Filibustering. Pork-barrelled politics. Tories (there a story behind that).

Any more ideas? There are plenty of bizarre "isms" to explore particularly on the left.

#85973 11/07/02 04:53 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Hi Maurice -

just to go back to your original post - what about "recalcitrant"? a favourite word of mine....although now that I look up the exact meaning as given by the Cdn Oxford, it seems to be "resisting discipline or authority; obstinately disobedient" - so perhaps that's not quite what you're looking for....?

just the suggestion that popped into my head while reading your original post....I always thought it incorporated some idea of mulish reluctance, as opposed to out-and-out disobedience.

#85974 11/07/02 05:43 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
If I remember correctly "calx" is heel, and recalcitrant means to kick like a mule.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,338
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 637 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,544
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith