Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
There are some pretty interesting terms associated with instruments. I only play a few instruments, but I like coming across terms that trip off the lips--terms associated with their structure .

I list a few here and wonder whether those of you who either play or like learning about instruments may have some to add?

Bee sting or bee's sting: If you look at a fine violin--at its purfling (which is another great term: the little black line that traces the edges of the body), sometimes at the places that come to points, the purfling or the black inlaid lines jot out a bit like a tail. That's called the bee sting.

swell pedal OK. You're sitting at big organ and you want the sound to swell up and get louder! So, right under your feet you'll see these rectangle shaped pedals sticking right up at an angle, kind of like gas pedals, only larger. Those are swell pedals, usually two on big organs, but sometimes just one. They're swell!

shell This is pretty cool, too. You know those kettle drums that are just so grand? Well, the kettle part is called the shell.

There's a lot of cool terms associated with instruments, but I'll wait and see whether you all have any that you know that you like, too.

Best regards,
WordWacky

bell just the place where the sound comes out in a wind instrument--but I like thinking about that bell's being there.

G
old hand
old hand
G
Despite what bloviate means, I associate it with cattle generating methane. Well, considering what politicians do, I'm not too far off the mark, am I?

Fipple flits freely from the lips.

B
old hand
old hand
B
I don't even play guitar (bass, yes), but I love how the names of the major parts also have other, non-musical meanings: body, neck, headstock, nut, bridge, pots.

Plus I love that there are words for every single part of the guitar, so you never have to say "Oh, the thingie that holds the little bits is broken": tuning pegs, machine heads, fretboard, frets, truss rod, pickups, jack, whammy bar (tremolo bar), pickguard, capo (OK, not strictly part of the guitar).

Maybe someone can help - what is the name of the "thingies" where you attach your strap on a guitar (at the bottom, and on one of the horns)? There are locking versions of them to keep the guitar/bass from jumping out of your hands when the strap wriggles its way off. My husband and I have been having this discussion for months with no positive outcome.

Also, my husband works in a guitar factory. I like to tell him, when he's frustrated with work, "not to fret" , and point out that the guitars pass through two European countries in production: "Finnish [sic] sanding" and "Polish-ing". Har-de-har-har.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bean,

DK publishes a wonderful little visual dictionary which answers that question ( I think...) and many more! I gave it to Faldage for Christmas and we keep it by the computer so we can sound edjumicated when we post here. (I'm not really here, she said, returning to work)

B
old hand
old hand
B
DK

Dear AnnaS,
In my house DK = Donkey Kong. You know, the big fella who throws barrels at the little Italian plumbers. I didn't know he was into book publishing!

P. S. What bugs me most is that I think I once knew the word, and it's gone now.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Only one of my two resident guitars has those little nobs. My classical guitar (which doesn't) often tells my Ibanez electric that it'll get its come-uppance one of these days, but the Ibanez just tries to stick it to the Aria. They're not very good friends at all, and don't even like the same music ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
B
old hand
old hand
B
He's a little high-strung your husband, eh Bean :-)

With regard to musical terms - I've said them before and I'll say them again ...
acciaccatura (ornamental note) and
appogiatura (embellishing note or 'lean on' note).

#58117 02/21/02 10:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here you go:

Dorling Kindersley publishers, ISBN 07894-28741.

http://www.dk.com/store_select.asp

Check it out on amazon.com, too....

N
stranger
stranger
N
High strung!? I think not. I'm a bassist, so i'm actually between B three octaves below middle C, and E(41Hz), A, D, G. Don't go NEAR the G-string!! It might pop! But only if i'm feeling funky.

As for the question that Bean posed, I believe that the strap for a guitar attaches to what is called a button.

H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
High strung!? I think not. I'm a bassist,

So, Nordic Norm is Bean's husband? Well, whoever you are: WELCOME! We Aussies love Norm. He was an icon of Australian Culture for a long period of time (possibly showing my age here) I'm thinking that Nordic Norm would have to be wearing a little more than our Norm's stubbies and a singlet though ...

Hev

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 767 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith