Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Hello! I'm a new member. A friend sent me a gift subscription. I don't yet know what his login name is, though. He'll probably come on later.

Anyway, I love this subject, heteronyms. Here's the title of a Dr. Seuss book:

**The Tough Coughed as he Ploughed the Dough.**

There's a picture on the cover of this tough guy, with a plough, pushing it through heaps of what appears to be a field of bread dough. I can't remember whether he is holding a handkerchief in front of his mouth, but we can pretty much assume.....:-D

Marian

"Prevention is the better part of valor." --Shakespeare/Drake

Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves James Matthew Barrie
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
:You never can tell with "-ough". I used to know a doctor named Plough. He pronounced it "Plew".
i knew a lady named "Clough". She pronounced it "Cluff".

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome aBoard Marian63.

I have moved the Helpful Hints and FAQs thread in Info and Announcements back up to the top.

I wonder how many of us can count exposure to Dr. Seuss as one of the seminal influences on our love of language. We had a thread on early reading influences some time ago, but after the long hard trip of getting the HH&F thread back to the top I am somewhat disinclined to spend the time looking for it. Dr. Bill?

In the early reading influence thread we discussed the authors that influenced our language habits; I wonder if any of us had the nerve to include Dr. Seuss or if we thought him a trifle too lowbrow.

#49821 12/12/01 04:05 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
I can't really say Seuss was a big influence on me, except that I think poetry should rhyme. :-) I was strongly influenced by Maurice Sendak ("Where the Wild Things Are") however.

Cheers,
Bryan

You are only wretched and unworthy if you choose to be.
#49822 12/13/01 02:57 AM
G
old hand
old hand
G
Hi Marian! Good to see you here! I own a copy of the first book Dr. Seuss illustrated, before he began writing his own books. Come on over - I'll show it to you! It's called Boners, and is a collection of students' malaprops, many of which are now urban legend. Unfortunately, it was Dick and Jane who got me reading, with considerable help from Spot, of course!

Oh, oh, oh, see Spot spot Dick. See Spot bite Dick. See Dick run. C'mon, guys, you remember this stuff, don't you?

#49823 12/13/01 09:57 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Geoff:

Spot, Dick, Jane and was it Fluffy taught me to read also. As soon as I understood the decoding system, it was off in a flash to Nancy Drew, whom I devoured. This was way back in 1957, Sputnik's year, I think, and I read the old Nancy Drew with words like frock and roadsters. When the text was changed to more contemporary words--after I'd stopped reading Nancy and moved on to Agatha Christie--I think a lot was lost from the flavor of those old mysteries.

Best regards from an old stick-in-the-mud,
WW

PS: Seuss was not an influence, but he's great fun to read to kids today. Red fish, blue fish, old fish, new fish...

#49824 12/13/01 02:44 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
off in a flash to Nancy Drew

Well, WW, in keeping with today's AWAD word, Nancy Drew you in and got you hooked! Now, how about the local girl (for my part of the country, Portland, Oregon) Ramona Quimby?

Stick in the mud? Hey, it's rained here for nigh onta forty daze an' forty nights; I'm a stick in the flood!

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone (except Geoff, who I can forgive because I am a stick in the flood of forty daze, too -- his welcome had to be a bit damp, by necessity).

The trophy above is for my parents, who got me interested in reading. Mama read us A.A. Milne and wonderful European fairy tales. I also remember something called **Beyond the River to Danger** about early European settlers in America (very dated now, I am sure), Bambi, and one I loved about children in South America who made lace. I loved listening to the children's program on the radio called "Let's Pretend," too. At one time, recordings of these programs could be purchased from Publisher's Central Bureau. I wish I had bought some.

But the real trophy goes to Daddy, who read us Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island, Kidnapped, and A Christmas Carol. And I couldn't get enough of Kipling's "Rikki Tikki Tavi." When my first grade teacher asked the kids to bring their favorite stories to school for her to read aloud, I brought Rikki Tikki. I wondered why she never read it. She read the dumbest stories, I thought. But in adulthood, Mother told me that the teacher had called her in a state of shock and explained that there was no way that she could read that story!! The other kids would not understand it, she said.

Daddy said he read those things to us because his father read them to him. My brother was three years younger than I was, and he loved them, too. I have to admit, I didn't like **Kidnapped** as I didn't understand it, but I loved "Fifteen men on a dead man's chest: yo ho ho and a bottle of rum," and Long John Silver in Treasure Island. (My dad's name was John, too.!)

By the way, it was Puff, not Fluffy. And I had to go through the Dick and Jane books twice -- once in a private kindergarten, then again in first grade, ho hum.

The wonderful thing about my school was, though, that when we finished our work, we had free time to read, and read, and read, and read, and read.

Marian

"Prevention is the better part of valor." --Shakespeare/Drake

Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves James Matthew Barrie
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Thanks, Marian, for the correction on Puff! It's extremely important to correctly cite primary sources!

Best regards,
DubDub, who's often pfffttt'd here (and that ain't Puffed)

PS: To Geoff...Ramona is my kind of gal!

#49827 12/14/01 09:55 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
I loved Nancy! I liked her better than Hardy Boys. I guess I liked girls even before puberty. :-)

Cheers,
Bryan

You are only wretched and unworthy if you choose to be.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith