About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I find often times that the etymology of the word in the "A.Word.A.Day" email informs me of the roots of a given word, and then lists other words supposed to share the same root, which don't seem to be very related at all.

For example, today's word, "diktat."
Quote:
From German Diktat (command, order, dictation), from Latin dictatum (something dictated), from dictare (to dictate), frequentative of dicere (to say). Ultimately from the Indo-European root deik- (to show, to pronounce solemnly), which is also the source of words such as judge, verdict, vendetta, revenge, indicate, dictate, paradigm, interdict, and fatidic

I can see clearly that words such as "verdict" and even "indicate" contain the root "deik," but a word like "judge?" Or "revenge?" Where is the "deik" in those words?

I find myself wishing that Anu would spot these difficult-to-see correlations and maybe help me out somehow; perhaps by pointing out where the similarity lies.

Does anyone else here ever think that or is it just me?

Mitch

Last edited by mitchpowell; 03/03/11 09:46 AM. Reason: refresh profile pic

"Eventually, everything connects."
addict
addict
Welcome Mitch! laugh

I belive that judge one it is possible the way that they pronounce judgement on people - they dictate the law...may be wrong though...same with revenge - they a dictating something to someone else (ie "you do that to me, I do that to you") but I have problems sometimes with some of the words from Indo-European roots...

----The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false----
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks, bexter -

I think you're looking at the concepts, or meanings of the words, not the actual words. It's my understanding that when they give the etymology of a word, and list other words that share the same root, they mean that the word itself contains that root, not that the meanings of the word are similar.

I'm beginning to concede that the word "judge" has a "dg" in it, and that's about the closest sound to "deik" that I can imagine. It's just difficult many times to see or hear the similarities in words that are supposed to have the same root in them.

Thanks for your reply! cool

"Eventually, everything connects."
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Judge: From Middle English, jugen < Anglo-Norman juger < Latin iudicare < iudex, iudic-.

Revenge: From Middle English revengen < Old French revengier < re+vengier, 'to take revenger' < Latin vindicare, 'to avenge', < vindex, vindic-, 'avenger'.

Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
You can "show" a judgement, or "show" a revenge just as you an "show" a dictact. Maybe that is the connection. Just taking a wild shot here. I'm no expert.
Eta (no not you): incidently "dekh" is the word in Hindi for "look" also has connection to "show".

Last edited by Avy; 03/03/11 12:41 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Avy, please see Faldo's response above. you need to dig deeper into the roots of some of these cognates to see the relationships; they often aren't obvious in the end results.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Rather than Welcome, seeing when you joined the site,
I'd just say Hello, good to see you again. And I
have to concur with your initial premise, it is sometimes
very hard to understand. But I don't have the background
to trace these words as some of these guys above have,
so it is very interesting to see the replies.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Okay. I was just yappin.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
you need to dig deeper into the roots of some of these cognates to see the relationships; they often aren't obvious in the end results.

For example, whore and charity come from the same PIE root.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
OK, I'll bite - what is it??? And how do they relate?

----please, draw me a sheep----
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 889 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith