Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#192924 08/31/10 05:14 PM
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
As a natural language, English is always growing. It is particularly adept at absorbing new words. What I keep wondering is what is the French word most recently added to English that no longer 'sounds French'. So far, the words this week still sound French to me. But the word 'cherish' (which came from French) sounds like a normal English word to me. But when Chaucer used it in 1385 it must have still sounded French to him. How long does it take for a word to lose the sounds of its roots? And which is the latest absorbed word that no longer 'sounds French'?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: tiberall
As a natural language, English is always growing. It is particularly adept at absorbing new words. What I keep wondering is what is the French word most recently added to English that no longer 'sounds French'. So far, the words this week still sound French to me. But the word 'cherish' (which came from French) sounds like a normal English word to me. But when Chaucer used it in 1385 it must have still sounded French to him. How long does it take for a word to lose the sounds of its roots? And which is the latest absorbed word that no longer 'sounds French'?

WELOME

Welcome

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What I keep wondering is what is the French word most recently added to English that no longer 'sounds French'. So far, the words this week still sound French to me. But the word 'cherish' (which came from French) sounds like a normal English word to me. But when Chaucer used it in 1385 it must have still sounded French to him.

An interesting question. I'm pretty sure that it depends on the speaker, and I am not sure how French cherishen 'to cherish' (link) or parfit 'perfect' might've sounded to Chaucer.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome tiberall. Funny thing is I just wanted to ask people about de - or décolletage. About the 'tage' part. The French word 'décolleté 'is in use in actual French German and Dutch in its original form. Decollete or décolleté.
Decolletage made me think it would have the meaning of something that has been detached of soaked off something. (from 'décoller-to soak off or detach something that has been glued) The French word 'décollage' meaning 'take off' (airplane).
As there have been French speaking parts in the U.S. I expected it the word to be closer to the original.

old hand
old hand
Disclaimer: French and I have a very gauzy relationship...

But I did see that décoller is not the derivation of decolletage, but rather, décolleter, so perhaps that helps the confusion. Also, it's a noun, whereas décolleté is an adjective.

Hi Bran! I had a busy summer... :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes long time since we stirred up a bit of confusion.;~) I meant to say that the French do not have the word décolletage, only décollage, which comes from a different verb. That décolleté may be and adjective in French; it is a noun in Dutch and German.
f.i. "The waiter slipped and dropped olives into the lady's décolleté".

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the French do not have the word décolletage, only décollage, which comes from a different verb. That décolleté may be and adjective in French

Actually there is a word décolletage in French. It means "Action de se décolleter ou de décolleter une robe, un chemisier; résultat de cette action". Décolleter means 'to uncover (the neck, throat, shoulders)'. It is a verb derived from collet '(Roman) collar' < Latin collum 'neck'. Décolletage is an abstract noun formed from the verb décolleter.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes , yes you are so right! I found it now in the smaller one of my two paper dictionaries. Which proves once more that the bigger isn't always the better.
Here's Larousse online ( another industrial use of the word)

linkje

H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted By: BranShea
The French word 'décollage' meaning 'take off' (airplane).

Is décalage (gap, or interval) related? It's used in airplanes too, in the rigging of flying surfaces, but more common, I suspect, in the expression, décalage horaire, time interval.

Re the original question: French missionaries settled much of Northern Indiana, but you don't hear people saying "Notre Dame" or "Terre Haute" the French way, so I guess place names may be the first French terms to get Americanized.

Last edited by Hal Alexander; 09/11/10 09:45 PM. Reason: Added content
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
zmjezhd is the expert on relations. Décalage has according to the dict. various meanings ; move (to a different place )time interval (like you said ) and disproportion, lack of consensus.
Décaler meaning taking away stut, support, stay, prop.
Can't find a word 'caler' though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 774 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith