I
Ilango Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
Thanks Zed.

A part of the conversation:

Person 1: The students are on strike! Why?

Person 2: About ten days ago, our principal died, and someone else was appointed in her place. The students want the principal’s daughter to become the principal.

Person 1: Your principal’s daughter? How is she qualified? She’s still in school, isn’t she?

Person 2: Hey, when a politician dies, they see to it that his son, daughter or wife takes his place. Nobody talks about qualifications, then.

Person 1: Listen, I’m in no mood to argue. I need my shut-eye. Now, please leave.

Person 2: Do you have anything to eat?

Person 1: LEAVE!

Last edited by Ilango; 10/15/09 09:21 AM.
I
Ilango Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
Thanks BranShea.

Ilango.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: tsuwm

It is not generally accepted as good English, however. [EA]

Do I look like someone who generally accepts?

And remember, this is from a dictionary that condones the use of an objective case plural pronoun in the subjective singular.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Checking out the Bible reference, the context there is that Jesus has just appeared to the disciples and they expressed some doubt, thinking that they were seeing a ghost. Jesus asks them if they have something to eat and, when they produce a piece of broiled fish, eats it, proving he is corporeal.

There was a play on this in the old comic strip Pogo when they think Howland Owl was a ghost. Someone suggests running a red hot poker through him. Owl notes that a ghost might scream as if in pain, just to fool them. He goes on to say that the only sure test is to feed him. If he holds the food he's not a ghost.

This, however, doesn't seem to match the context given by Ilango.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It is not generally accepted as good English, however.

"Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die." [Deut. 17:5] (link)

There are many examples of they used with singular antecedents. Chaucer, Shakespeare, and Austen used it; even the King James translation of the Bible used it.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Ilango
Thanks Zed.

A part of the conversation:

Person 1: The students are on strike! Why?

Person 2: About ten days ago, our principal died, and someone else was appointed in her place. The students want the principal’s daughter to become the principal.

Person 1: Your principal’s daughter? How is she qualified? She’s still in school, isn’t she?

Person 2: Hey, when a politician dies, they see to it that his son, daughter or wife takes his place. Nobody talks about qualifications, then.

Person 1: Listen, I’m in no mood to argue. I need my shut-eye. Now, please leave.

sounds like a normal teenager to me. I don't think it means anything beyond, "ok, I'm done with this conversation now. do you have anything to eat?"

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

It could also be a phrase that should function as a distraction, so as to temper Person 1.'s mood.
If so, it did not work since Person 2. is forced to leave.

( I would be pleased to know what "I need my shut-eye" means.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I would be pleased to know what "I need my shut-eye"

I need my sleep.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah, of course. I read it like I need my closed eye and heck what for? Ah, it's a active verb.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
It is not generally accepted as good English, however.

"Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die." [Deut. 17:5] (link)

There are many examples of they used with singular antecedents. Chaucer, Shakespeare, and Austen used it; even the King James translation of the Bible used it.

I didn't read that *particular COED extract as having anything to say against the singular they -- only regarding theyself.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 747 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith