Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
but it's still an expression, no? or is there some sort of Capital E Expression?

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
but it's still an expression, no?

Yes, it is, but the little explanatory story that has grown up beside it seems like folklore to me. Moreover, I like it as a figure of speech, I just don't buy its provenance.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
but it's still an expression, no?

Yes, it is, but the little explanatory story that has grown up beside it seems like folklore to me. Moreover, I like it as a figure of speech, I just don't buy its provenance.

and I can agree with that.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
...The context is a vaguely Christian one (I saw one person saying it was an Orthodox bishop's favorite saying). Here's an example: link. In it's poresent form it seems to go back no further than the '80s.

I would like to meet the Orthodox Bishop in question, because the idea of a soul that is separable while the person is alive is more shamanistic than Christian methinks.

You are right, it does have all the marks of being a folklore story. But the "letting the soul catch up" part also has the ring of truth, or matches experience, in a way that many urban legends don't...

---------

My Novels and Poetry
(Romance! Theology! Tantra! and an occasional recipe)
http://btwreviews.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But the "letting the soul catch up" part also has the ring of truth, or matches experience, in a way that many urban legends don't.

I suppose it does, if you believe in souls and such. One of the things about folklore is that one's own often seems obvious and true, while that of others is superstitious and patently obviously wrong.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu
but it's still an expression, no? or is there some sort of Capital E Expression?
I thought 'an expression' meant this: A particular word or phrase: "an old Yankee expression . . . 'Stand up and be counted'" (Charles Kuralt). , but searching the vocabularies it seems to have a less limited meaning. I still think this 'soul catching up thing' is more than an urban legend and has a serious origin in old beliefs; an acceptable 'phenomenon'.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
But the "letting the soul catch up" part also has the ring of truth, or matches experience, in a way that many urban legends don't.

I suppose it does, if you believe in souls and such. One of the things about folklore is that one's own often seems obvious and true, while that of others is superstitious and patently obviously wrong.

"Soul" to me is a shorthand for the whole phenomenology of subjective experience. Wow, what lovely jargon! But I mean, the fact that we have subjective experience at all and also the wild variety of things we experience subjectively. And whether the usage of "soul" is fair for this - is it fair to use the word for "amber" (elektron) for an invisible sometimes particle sometimes wave that carries a negative charge?

And no, I think other people's folklore is often just packed with value - that is how this topic got started.

Ah noble Zmjezhd, how can I bear to disagree with you twice in one post. But perhaps you will forgive me?

---------

My Novels and Poetry
(Romance! Theology! Tantra! and an occasional recipe)
http://btwreviews.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
how can I bear to disagree with you twice in one post

We're probably closer in our thinking than would seem by my postings. I love folklore. It and language reveal much about people and their cultures. As for soul, élan vital, ψυχη / psykhe, anima, what have you, as a metaphor it's A-OK with me. As for electra, I prefer quarks, at least the German dairy product.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Originally Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu
I thought 'an expression' meant this: A particular word or phrase: "an old Yankee expression . . . 'Stand up and be counted'" (Charles Kuralt). , but searching the vocabularies it seems to have a less limited meaning. I still think this 'soul catching up thing' is more than an urban legend and has a serious origin in old beliefs; an acceptable 'phenomenon'.

I think the "story" about it is a legend, but the phrase itself is an expression.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think the "story" about it is a legend, but the phrase itself is an expression.

Yes, I concur.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 818 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith