Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#175758 04/10/08 01:44 PM
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Regarding the April 10, 2008 quote (in the "pavid" word email), I have some thoughts about how it relates directly to an earlier distributed word (speciesism; March 18, 2008). Thoughts below-->

"Nothing is more humbling than to look with a strong magnifying glass at an insect so tiny that the naked eye sees only the barest speck and to discover that nevertheless it is sculpted and articulated and striped with the same care and imagination as a zebra. Apparently it does not occur to nature whether or not a creature is within our range of vision, and the suspicion arises that even the zebra was not designed for our benefit."
-Rudolf Arnheim, psychologist and author (1904-2007)

Arnheim's thoughts dovetail especially well with the definition of speciesism:

speciesism (SPEE-shee-ziz-uhm, -see-ziz-uhm) noun

The assumption of superiority of humans over other animal species,
especially to justify their exploitation.

I do believe that people generally feel as if this place (Earth) were "put" here for them and that everything residing here is for their pleasure or at their mercy. Behaving as well-mannered guests would be more suitable….and, sustainable.

I agree, and much speciesism is rooted in the Bible, which is a topic non-grata (to coin a poorly constructed phrase).

tempus edax rerum
Maven #175760 04/10/08 02:37 PM
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Maven
I agree, and much speciesism is rooted in the Bible, which is a topic non-grata (to coin a poorly constructed phrase).

Genesis 2:15 "The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it."

In the beginning, no less...

twosleepy #175761 04/10/08 04:04 PM
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Thank you both (Maven & twosleepy) for some insight. To add, I must include some words about a few major contributors to the degradation of this blue marble we call Earth (at least of it's ability to support life): Materialism, Consumerism, Capitalism. It seems that, generally, these (and possibly other factors) tend to support and feed off of each other ultimately leading to a situation where this planet will no longer be able to provide livable conditions for the various existing forms of life here. So sad...and irresponsible.

And, because it fits so well with this discussion, I feel compelled to include the statement that Agent Smith makes while interrogating Neo in The Matrix (movie):

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

While this is quoted from a movie, it does hold relevance. Humans do, in fact, extract and waste beyond sustainable limits like no other living species on Earth. Yes, there are many of us who do not follow unsustainable practices to extremes (hence, sustainable living) but the amount who do follow unsustainable practices far outweigh the former.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
while there are many here on the board that likely could agree with much of what is being written, I suggest that it be taken elsewhere, or at a minimum to Private Messages, as we have tried very hard to stay away from discussions that are rooted in the political and religious realms.

formerly known as etaoin...
veteran
veteran
"You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. "

*All* species do this unless they are kept in check. That's one reason why populations in the wild fluctuate.

Sorry--I guess I was being subtle...Topic non grata means unwelcome discussion.

tempus edax rerum
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Can we discuss this subject while avoiding politics and religion?
It seems possible to me, but...

Maven #175767 04/10/08 05:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: Maven
Sorry--I guess I was being subtle...Topic non grata means unwelcome discussion.

I heard you, just trying to amplify the message a bit. :¬ )

formerly known as etaoin...
Maven #175769 04/10/08 05:30 PM
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
I can definitely respect other's wishes to avoid these discussions. For the record though, the intent was not to stir up a religious argument but rather, discuss taking care of the planet where we all live. Was hoping to find some folks interested in relating the word and quotes originally quoted from Wordsmith.org to real-world issues, which is what I thought was one of the main premises of the A Word A Day distribution (to spark thought about "important" matters).

If I've overstepped the boundaries of this board, please accept my apologies. But please understand that avoiding issues like this doesn't help to get people into critical-thinking-mode and I believe Critical Thinking is exactly one of the principles Mr. Anu Garg thrives on to keep up such an interesting ~14 year endeavor (would obviously need to ask him personally to know for sure). The words and quotes in his compilations clearly tend to be part of a genre of worldly issues and serious matters, not solely for entertainment purposes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith