Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Now, I'm no true linguaphile, I recognize, but I'm not convinced by this following description of the etymology of orange in today's AWAD post for the word eyas.

Quote:
They were coined by a process called false splitting. Let's take
orange. The original word was Sanskrit naranga. By the time it reached
English, the initial letter n had joined the article a, resulting in
"an orange". The word for orange is still narangi in Hindi, naranja in
Spanish, and naranj in Arabic.

This doesn't make sense to me because English is the only langauge that has these articles-- and thus the ability for the word to evolve in the suggested way-- and yet orange is the same in French and German, too. French, of course is un and une, and German is der, die, and das. So while the theory sounds plausible, unless there's some proof that the word migrated first into English and them from there into German and French, I think it's incorrect.

Cheers,
Kenn Sebesta

P.S. French dictionaries indicate that the word came into French from the Italian arancia: http://www.cnrtl.fr/etymologie/orange

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There's also two separate oranges in English. The Dutch Royal house from a town in Southern France which the Romans called Aurasio (today called Orange in French and Aurenja in Occitan) and the citrus fruit. The later seems to have come into European languages via Italian melarancio (from mela 'apple' and arancio 'orange', which the French calqued as pome (d')orenge, from the same French dictionary entry linked to above. But, it seems likely to me, too, that orange is not like adder or newt.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
thanks for that info on the royal house of Orange.

NYC has a blue/white/orange flag (from its dutch origins) and there are orange counties (in nystate, and nj) and i always wondered why the was a house of orange.

(since my vague knowledge of european history recognizes there was a conflict with spain and the 'low lands' (and that at some point the netherlands became independant (again--i am presuming) but why they kept a house of Orange? (since i presumed that the county and the fruit shared a common source)

i think i know most of what i know about the conflict between spain and the netherlands from sea shanties, not history books!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And DisneyLand and DisneyWorld are both in Orange County.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yet another oranges to oranges comparison

-joe (orange you glad I didn't say banana) friday

A
stranger
stranger
A
I'm intrigued that this linguistic metamorphosis has a name. We thought we'd invented it in our household when my young son told use he needed an ote for some reason or other. It was very confusing, as we couldn't really figure out what an 'ote' was (as it was unlikely he was asking for an 'oat'). Turns out, it became clear that he was talking about A Note... or... an ote.

Language is such a fascinating world!

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Hi Annie,
and kids don't expect adults to make sense so they don't ask for clarification they just assume it's a word they don't know.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yeah, but... Orange counties in states that grow oranges aren't too strange.

Orange counties in NYState or NJ do seem odd.

the orange counties in california and florida (given there spanish origins) might be place name (even if orange is in southern france and not spain..(is there also an orange in spain (there is valencia that share a name with a variety of oranges..)

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I tried to by real Seville marmalade in Seville. 15 minutes after asking for marmalade de naranjas I learned that marmalade means any sort of jam in Spanish and that what we call Seville oranges are not called naranjas and that the toast spread made from them has a nother name not at all related to marmalade.
But eventually I got my Mom's souvenir. (I don't even like the stuff)

M
addict
addict
M
Back to the OP... (oh noes!)
The French dictionary that goes "all the way" back to Italian does not explain the initial 'n' in Sanskrit, Hindi, Arabic, etc. words for orange. Since oranges came to Europe from India and points further east by way of Persia, all those older Eastern languages seem a rather glaring indicator that there was originally an 'n' or that there's something else mysterious to explain away before you can assume that Italian is the authority.

Back to Slightly Off Topic... (yeah!)
Remember that New York, New York used to be New Amsterdam, New Netherlands and the rulers of the Netherlands hold the title Prince of Orange. Related topic: "Why are carrots orange?" (which I think we've done before).

Last edited by Myridon; 09/12/07 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,342
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 429 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith