Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#160382 06/13/06 10:24 AM
S
Stevo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
As we are discussing coined words, I want to express my opposition to the coined word "homophobia". The prefix homo should mean same, as in homosexual ; attracted to same sex. Therfore, homophobia should mean fear of one's own kind. The current useage is based on the slang term "homo" for homosexual, but if a word is coined from a slang term,, then it is just slang, and should not be recognized as a valid word. It would be the same thing if we coined a new word beginnig with anti that meant in favour of something.

#160383 06/13/06 10:56 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh an other prescriptive! What a quaint notion that living language should follow rules!

actually living languages do follow rules, just not simple ones. Watergate yeilded (and 40 years later its still is yeilding) "gates" of all kinds.

writers and the public 'KNOW' gate attached to a word can mean "illegal government action, or potential political scandel" as well as a door like opening in a fence.

and while homo mean same (as in homonym--words that have the same meaning) ita also has come in popular culture to be a slur, --just try calling some one a homo-(a slur i heard at least 45 years ago)--and you can have proof.

its understandable then that homophobia is around.

Of course you are dead right--(and will go to your grave being right, but won't have changed how language works when left in the hands of the speakers.

If it weren't for TV/Radio/Movies, american english and ozzie english would be well on there way to being different languages than UK english, much as french/spanich/italian are differnt language than latin. that what happens to living languages.

#160384 06/13/06 01:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Speaking of the suffix -gate, it recently jumped linguo-borders and established itself in Arabic. As for language out of control, perhaps it's time to establish a Language Academy by presidential fiat, act of Congress, or constitutional amendment. It would be fun. Use a greengrocer's apostrophe, go to jail. There are no such things as victimless crimes. Bob the Angry Flower can be the first generalisimo of the American [sic] Language Academy. A typo would be a misdemeanor and not capitalizing a proper noun would, too. Three infractions and you're off to the punctuation farm. Zero tolerence! Oops, tolerance. Here they come.

[Fixed by my own petard.]

Last edited by zmjezhd; 06/15/06 12:48 PM.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
#160385 06/13/06 01:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> tolerence

you're outta here!

formerly known as etaoin...
#160386 06/13/06 01:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the punctuation farm

#160387 06/13/06 01:43 PM
addict
addict
Quote:

...As for language out of control, perhaps it's time to establish a Language Academy by presidential fiat, act of Congress, or constitutional amendment. It would be fun. Use a greengrocer's apostrophe, go to jail. There are no such things as victimless crimes. Bob the Angry Flower can be the first generalisimo of the American [sic] Language Academy. A typo would be a misdemeanor and not capitalizing a proper noun would, too. Three infractions and you're off to the punctuation farm. Zero tolerence!

It is surprising who did and who did not write the preceding. Certainly sounds on track there, even for one ignorant of greengrocer punctuation and emotional botany [?]. A. had a cannon loaded with a too-familiar rant for another thread that sounded similar:

Sorry but intolerant Aramis found this particularly disturbing coming from one rumoured to be in the newspaper business, where the promotion of illiteracy can be wielded like a tidal wave. Where is this coming from? Must we shout from the rooftops? Everyone should run to a window and yell out, “I’m mad as you-know-where, and I’m not going to take this anymore! I.e. does not mean incompetent episode, illiterate example or even ignoratio elenchi! I.e. is id est , res ipsa loquitur!” This insanity must be stopped at any cost. We must call for Jihad against all who would blaspheme Webster and his sacred scripture, al-Dic’tion-ary, lest the Decline of Civilization bury us in ignorance! [The usual Channel 7 editorial disclaimer applies.]

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
#160388 06/13/06 02:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sorry but intolerant Aramis to quote Amamis.
really i thought your 3rd person stuff was perhaps funny, in a campy sort of way...

but if you can't recognize that zmj was poking fun and writing tongue in cheek, that i can only think that you are serious about refering to your self in the third person..
or are you just one of Arimis's clones (the intolerant one)
in which case, could the real aramis stand up, and start using the first person case?

zmj, i know i am bound for the farm (where no doubt grammarians will grind me up for saugage!) can we find a special spot, too for the pompous use of the third person?

#160389 06/13/06 04:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What's Channel 7?

#160390 06/13/06 06:20 PM
addict
addict
Don't know why it sounded like taking the Zmjezhd* thing seriously because [trying not to sound pompous] "I" thought it was funny too, very much tongue or maybe tentacle -in-cheek. Anna, Channel 7 is a fictional device, as in "This has been a Channel 7 editorial..." Sorry if it got too snippy [?]

* Translates in spell-check as 'Maxed'.

#160391 06/13/06 08:05 PM
addict
addict
Clones? Wondering something similar about Anna portraits but only 1 A. has been here all along. At least campy sounds better than pompous. With such proposed re-invention, where would clever barbs from our consonant-heavy players fall?

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 755 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith