Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
The term "Brit" popped up a couple of times in the recent discussions of fictional eponyms, and I found myself wondering: didn't this term
start out as a pejorative? No dictionary that I've checked (American
Heritage, Encarta; Webster's 3d Int'l Unabridged does not list it!)
indicates this, but I was wondering if anyone can confirm that.

Thanks

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
OED has it as colloquial for Briton or Britisher.

no mention of a pejorative sense.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dunno, Mananan, but welcome aBoard. This isn't all that helpful, but:
Britain
1297, Breteyne, from O.Fr. Bretaigne, from L. Britannia, earlier Brittania, from Brittani "the Britons" (see Briton). The O.E. was Breten-lond. If there was a Celt. name for the island, it has not been recorded.

British
O.E. Bryttisc "of or relating to ancient Britons," from Bryttas "natives of ancient Britain" (see Briton). First record of British Isles is from 1621.

Briton
Anglo-Fr. Bretun, from L. Brittonem (nom. Britto, misspelled Brito in MSS) "a member of the tribe of the Britons," from *Britt-os, the Celtic name of the Celtic inhabitants of Britain and southern Scotland before the 5c. Anglo-Saxon invasion drove them into Wales, Cornwall, and a few other corners. Only in historical use after O.E. period; revived when James I was proclaimed King of Great Britain in 1604, and made official at the union of England and Scotland in 1707.

etymology

I checked an Aussie slang dictionary, thinking the pejorative meaning may have been there due to all the prisoners, but it wasn't listed.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bloody Brit(s) is pejorative, (the only way i ever heard brit was with the adjective Bloody and that was quickly followed by an admonition to watch "Language!")

but i don't think Brit all on its own is insulting. of course, some times the tone of voice might indicate that the Bloody is there, just not quite vocalized.

Last edited by of troy; 12/15/05 03:37 PM.
#152136 12/15/05 03:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And, yes. Ms. of troy is of Irish stock.

As for moi, it's a handy abbreviation. I've finally gotten over the fact that some of y'all Brits still want to call us Yanks!

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Quote:

And, yes. Ms. of troy is of Irish stock.

As for moi, it's a handy abbreviation. I've finally gotten over the fact that some of y'all Brits still want to call us Yanks!

oh, there are *other terms in wide circulation...!

#152138 12/16/05 11:46 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I think Brit is short for the old fashioned Britisher. I don't see how it is pejorative. But "whingeing Pom" [1] is.

What about: "Sassenach; Redcoat. Old John Bull" ?

Quote:

[1] Pommy (also Pommie) noun ( pl. -mies) Austral./NZ. informal offensive a British person. ORIGIN early 20th cent.: of unknown origin; said by some to be short for pomegranate, as a near rhyme to immigrant, but evidence is lacking

Last edited by Homo Loquens; 12/16/05 11:48 AM.
#152139 12/18/05 12:02 PM
E
addict
addict
E
"Sassenach" may not be pejorative, although I think it's a good indication that it is only used by Scots and refers largely to people seen as opressors. I don't know the meaning of it - someone on this board certainly will!
"Redcoat" I don't think is pejorative. It's just descriptive of the uniform - like the Civil War use of "Blues" and "Grays". (I wanted to type "Greys", but probably that "brit" spelling is wrong in the U.S.!)
"John Bull" is like "Uncle Sam" - probably shifts between pejorative and non depending on the speaker. If one were expressing anti-British sentiment and referring to "John Bull" then it could be dismissive or pejorative. If one were speaking admiringly, the opposite.

I hold right of abode in Britain because my father was born in Northern Ireland. One British immigration officer told me it made me "a Brit by descent". I doubt, therefore, that "Brit" could be pejorative.

#152140 12/18/05 12:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

"Sassenach" may not be pejorative, although I think it's a good indication that it is only used by Scots and refers largely to people seen as opressors. I don't know the meaning of it - someone on this board certainly will!

I derives from the word Saxon. Just a Gaelic way of pronouncing it with a suffix indicating nationality.

And I think you've hit upon the factor that makes a term perjorative. If the people to whom it applies are disliked, for whatever reason, the term will become perjorative. This is why attempts to replace perjorative terms with non-perjorative ones ultimately fail. The new term eventually becomes perjorative just by being used in reference to the people who are disliked. The only solution is to stop disliking them. Not always so easy.

#152141 12/19/05 11:51 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast

Quote:

Buck Mulligan showed a shaven cheek over his right shoulder.

God, isn't he dreadful? he said frankly. A ponderous Saxon. He thinks you're not a gentleman. God, these bloody English! Bursting with money and indigestion. Because he comes from Oxford. You know, Dedalus, you have the real Oxford manner. He can't make you out. O, my name for you is the best: Kinch, the knife-blade [...] Chuck Loyola, Kinch, and come on down. The Sassenach wants his morning rashers.

--Ulysses, 1922 (Telemachia, Telemachus)

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,399
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 241 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,577
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith