Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Print Thread
#13682 12/21/00 01:10 AM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I almost hesitate to bring this one up, for fear of where it may go; but what the heck, it's the holiday season.

a discussion of the word hysteria, and it's etymology, often leads to the question: isn't there a word for *male hysteria? [this is the path we don't need to follow!]

my point is that Mrs. Byrne, in her eponymous dictionary, defines the word 'tarassis' as "male hysteria"; my question is: what is her source? -- I've never been able to find this word in a "real" dictionary.

{were we to follow that other path, I could show you a vivid instance of why the OED is considered to be outmoded by some -- but then the OED is a historical dictionary, not synchronic like W3.}

#13683 12/21/00 02:54 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I put 'taras' into a Greek-to-English dictionary, and found this. It doesn't explain the part about being male-specific, but perhaps someone knowledgeable about Greek and Greek history/culture can make the connection. Does this help at all?
----------------------------------------------------------

Liddell & Scott Intermediate Lexicon
Change Greek display | e-mail us problems and comments | Copyright Statement
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous: Taras tarassô Next: tarachê

or see expanded entry in the LSJ9 (Great Scott).
If you would not be reading Greek without access to these on-line texts and lexicon, please tell us about it. One of our main goals is to make it possible for more people to read Greek. If we could make this better, we would very much like to know. If this is useful as it is, a quick note would be very helpful to us.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to stir, stir up, trouble, in a physical sense, etaraxe ponton Od.; homou t. tên te gên kai tên thalattan Ar.; brontêmasi kukatô panta Aesch.; panta t., of a speaker, to jumble up, Dem.; deina t. makes "confusion worse confounded," Soph.

[2] to trouble the mind, confound, agitate, disturb, disquiet, Trag., Plat., etc.: absol. to cause confusion, Plat.

[3] of an army, to throw into disorder, Hdt., Xen., etc.:mdash;Pass. to be in disorder, Hdt., Thuc.

[4] of political matters, to agitate, distract, Ar.:mdash;Pass. to be in a state of disorder or anarchy, Thuc., Dem.

[5] tarattesthai epi tôn hippôn to be shaken in one's seat on horseback, Xen.

[II] to stir up mud, raise by stirring up, Ar.: metaph., t. neikos, polemon Soph., Plat.; Pass., polemos etarachthê Dem.

[III] intr. perf. tetrêcha, to be in disorder or confusion, be in an uproar, tetrêchei d' agorê Il.; agorê tetrêchuia Il.

#13684 12/21/00 08:48 AM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Urk. That's not as helpful as a paper Liddell & Scott, which gives each form in its alphabetical place. There's a word taraxis 'disturbance' from this root. As there's a form tarattesthai with -tt-/-ss- then there might be an alternative tarassis from the same root.

But I would have thought as 'hysteria' is from 'womb' the male equivalent would be something more obvious... erm... orchidia, anyone?

#13685 12/21/00 12:23 PM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Okay, enough guessing. I've been across the street to the library so here are some facts. There is no such word as tarassis. Mrs Byrne has got herself a mumpsimus, à mon avis.

The root tarakh- is a general one meaning 'disturbance, disorder, agitation, tumult'. Nouns from this root include tarakhê, táraxis, and taragmós, and the verb is tarásso: (Attic tarátto:).

Hippocrates used such forms specifically for 'disorder of the bowels'.

By the way, there is an amusing word hustêria: 'a festival at Argos in which pigs were sacrificed to Aphrodite' (with eta so unrelated to hustéra: 'womb'), presumably a pun on mustêria:.

#13686 12/21/00 01:15 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>I've been across the street to the library

That's a bit extreme isn't it? Imagine consulting a library. We've not had anyone who's done that before. Did it have books with real paper pages? Extraordinary!

#13687 12/21/00 01:20 PM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
[hurt emoticon] It's quite a busy street and you have to wait at traffic lights. Not an entirely trivial expedition.

But hang on... naturally it doesn't count if you look up any kind of reference before answering, but I think I wouldn't be the first to do this. I suspect -- I can't prove it, mind -- that other people aren't all doing this entirely out of their own heads. Or am I maligning them horribly?

It should count against your postings score, using references should.

#13688 12/21/00 03:01 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
NW>There is no such word as tarassis. Mrs Byrne has got herself a mumpsimus...

that being the case, I wonder whose error is she adhering to?

#13689 12/21/00 08:31 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>[hurt emoticon]

There, there. No it really was a trophy. I was impressed at the mention of paper, especially paper which/that one does not own. I have fond memories of libraries, these days it's all bookshops and digital on-line stuff.

I do look things up, honest. I either use one of my own mediocre dictionaries, look it up on-line or hope that tsuwm can dig out his OED (big version).

#13690 12/22/00 08:16 AM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
It's only an ordinary borough library, with too many Ruth Rendells and Dark Knight comics and pop CDs and rough guides to Thailand and all such biblia abiblia encroaching on the core of knowledge, but it does have the full OED and big old two-volume Liddell & Scott: so in cases of doubt I can descend from Sinai and declare "It standeth written thus".

#13691 12/22/00 10:10 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
NicholasW avers: It's only an ordinary borough library ... so in cases of doubt I can descend from Sinai and declare "It standeth written thus".

Some borough library. Surely it has a reinforced floor and walls to take the weight of the stone tablets? At a rough estimate, based on my understanding that there were twelve comparatively short statements on two stone tablets in the original edition, that would make 192,587 tablets for "War and Peace" alone ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 752 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith