Next Thread
Print Thread
#12461 12/08/00 04:44 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I was just given this screen, every time I tried to change
to the next or previous thread, or anywhere.
Has anyone else ever had one of these, and can anyone tell me what it means? I ended up closing AWADtalk, and re-opened it immediately with no further problems.
---------------------------------------------------------

Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Since I'm sort of ranting anyway, I'll go ahead and say that I tried threaded mode again today, and still can't make any sense of it. There's nothing to read except the
headings, and they're indented weirdly all over the place, and the dates aren't in order! I clicked on one heading and thus managed to find an actual post, but only the one.
Do y'all mean to tell me that in threaded mode you have to
open every single post??? What a pain! Give me the
Flat, I'm staying on the Flat, fie on the Threaded!

---------------------------------------------------

Added edit: I've seen a couple of mentions of getting that
'page cannot be displayed' screen. Just thought I'd put that, when I get that here, I click the back arrow and then
try again--it just about always works. Also, sometimes--maybe half the time--if the screen is taking a really long time to change, I'll hit Stop, then try again and it changes quickly.

#12462 12/08/00 05:17 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I was just given this screen, every time I tried to change
to the next or previous thread, or anywhere.

Yup. I've been getting that a lot lately. In my case, it will suddenly pipe up with
We were unable to process your request. Reason
One of the required fields was not filled in.

It seems to happen if I'm here for an hour or more, and the only way I can get back in is to shut down my browser, completely delete all my cookies, and clear my internet history, then login afresh. I have a handy batch file that empties all the relevant folders for me, but that requires rebooting to DOS, so I normally do that when the message comes up - a real pain in the ask anybody.

#12463 12/08/00 08:00 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ditto here. The reason seems to be that the Wordsmith server is looking for information which our ISPs' servers are not providing every time. That is resulting in a flurry of cookies requests being made. Ony 250 cookies can be stored at any one time. On my PC at work, pages are preceded by screeds of HTML with cookie references in them. The only way I've found to work around it is to shut the browser down and start it again.

Maxie, it may be that we see this a lot because the Internet pipeline in and out of NZ is so narrow and data packets are getting held up and timing out. Blame Telecom NZ - I do, for everything!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#12464 12/08/00 09:17 PM
X
X
when my browser starts telling me that i have a Bad Request, it also complains about cookies.

see also
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=announcements&Number=6079&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5

#12465 12/08/00 10:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks to Xara for the link to previous problems. I believe that it's an HTML problem, and one that should be readily fixable since the problem is so obvious and widespread.

May Jackie can con Anu into getting his guru to look at it.

CK

#12466 12/09/00 11:58 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I haven't had any Bad Request notes. I have been having some major freeze-outs (hours) and several notes saying "page is no longer available." Now that made me hyperventilate the 1st time it happened.

#12467 12/10/00 06:10 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
La belle bel emoted: Now that made me hyperventilate the 1st time it happened.

You weren't by any chance one of a group of women from the New Zealand army who were running up the Korokoro Valley in New Zealand at about 10 p.m. GMT today, were you? They were hyperventilating somewhat. Probably connected with the 25 degree (C) heat. I also now know why the NZ army hasn't bought any heavy armour for a while ...

I believe the major problem in Zild is bandwidth to the rest of the world. We only have a piece of wet string as an Internet connection between here and the States. There is a tin can at this end, and presumably a Heinz baked beans can at the other ...

#12468 12/10/00 06:40 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
There is a tin can at this end, and presumably a Heinz baked beans can at the other ...

Hey, no knocking Heinz, please. Remember I live in Heinzville, sorry Hastings. The Hawke's Bay economy is booming, by NZ standards, and it's all thanks to that swell Irishman Tony O'Reiily - everyone in Hawke's Bay is really glad that Hawke's Bay lost to the Lions when he was playing with them.

#12469 12/10/00 01:08 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
From Cap Kiwi : We only have a piece of wet string as an Internet connection between here and the States. There is a tin can at this end, and presumably a Heinz baked beans can at the other ...
No wonder Max is steamed....that's what Heinz does....they steam the beans IN the can where the B&M folk BAKE the beans. I thought I'd written about this at length (ad nauseum) in another thread. You skipped over it, didn't you !!! why do I try? Sigh
WOW

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith