Next Thread
Print Thread
#73855 06/21/02 12:57 PM
M
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Rest in peace, Timothy Findley, kind, gentle, generous soul.

I never read any of his books - did look at them and was not drawn by his style - but I met him once, and heard him speak a couple of times, and his kind nature and solid integrity were inspiring. He gave a lecture entitled, "My Final Hour," when I was at Trent University in the late 1980s. The theme was the message he would give to the world, if he knew he had only an hour to live.

He spoke of reconciliation; and his personal mantra was, "Against despair."

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.

#73856 06/21/02 01:31 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I don't know Timothy Findley at all. Has anyone here read him? If so, any comments?

Thanks,
Wordwind

#73857 06/21/02 08:47 PM
M
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Hi WW -

I can't comment, as I haven't read any of his work, but I can give you an abbreviated list of some of his works, fwiw (not in chronological order):

The Piano Man's Daughter (novel)
Not Wanted On the Voyage (novel, then stage play)
Pilgrim (novel)
The Wars (novel, won a Governor General's Award)
The Stillborn Lover (stage play)

and more than that I cannot remember now, and my Oxford Companion to Canadian Literature is sadly out of date (I notice my edition is a 1983, so no wonder). One of his novels was also made into a movie, but not, I think, any of the above - I can't remember the title.

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.

#73858 06/24/02 12:43 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I heartily recommend "HeadHunter" for a somewhat disturbing journey -- it takes place in a mental institution (modelled after either the Clarke or Queen Street in Toronto).

The Piano Man's Daughter is a lovely saga, about love and growing up and life...

Not Wanted on the Voyage is a bizarre fable (the animals talk), set on Noah's Ark.

The Wars (short novel made into a small film starring Brent Carver) is set in WW1. About how, in the mad world of war, a sane act looks insane.

That's all I've read, but they were all good, and all so different. I REALLY wish I had seen last year's Stratford production of "Elizabeth Rex" (about a meeting between Queen Elizabeth and a playwright - possibly Shakespeare, but I'm not sure about that) -- any of my friends who saw it, proclaimed it the best Stratford production they'd ever seen. The ever capable Brent Carver (again! so many years later) played the syphalitic playwright/actor, and I believe Diane D'Aquila played Elizabeth. These names will only mean something to the Canadians reading, I imagine. But what talented actors they are.

Bottom line: definitely - rest in peace. I'm sorry there won't be any more coming from him.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 932 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith