Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#43415 10/01/01 03:58 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Hostage threat
… warning by the US State Department on Friday that Islamic extremists may be planning to kill or kidnap American and British civilians in the event of American retaliatory action.[…]
US press reports have indicated that the most serious reported threat is in Indonesia, where radical Muslim groups reportedly plan to invade the wealthy neighbourhoods of Jakarta and seize large numbers of potential hostages should strikes against Afghanistan be carried out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1572000/1572572.stm

I hope things do not feel too threatening where you are, Bingley? or for any other members of our community; do whatever you can to keep safe.

[personal-concern-only]

#43416 10/01/01 09:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bingley, please do keep in touch so that we know you are safe.
cuidado, Consuelo

#43417 10/02/01 02:29 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I am gratified at everybody's concern, but I don't feel in any immediate danger. I quote from the latest email release from the British Embassy here:

GENERAL ADVICE: Indonesia
Outside the areas of instability mentioned below, most visits to Indonesia are for the moment trouble-free, and most of the main tourist destinations are unaffected. Daily life and business continue as normal for the present. This advice will be changed at short notice if necessary.

After the terrorist attacks in the US, there is a heightened terrorist threat to US interests worldwide. The US Government has authorised the voluntary departure of non-essential government personnel and their dependants from Indonesia. We are monitoring the situation closely, but we are not planning to take a similar step with regard to British personnel at the moment. British citizens are, however, advised to remain vigilant, to exercise caution, and to report any suspicious activities to the authorities.

There was a similar flap before the Gulf War but I can't say I suffered any particular inconvenience then (apart from getting my pocket picked but that's a whole 'nother story). Of course things were a lot more controlled then (efficient brutal dictators do provide a certain amount of security for those not on the receiving end of the brutality [tongue very much in cheek emoticon]).

I was also here during the May 1998 riots and just stayed indoors, and then when it was over went down to a beach resort and stayed there for a week (an impromptu holiday can't be bad, can it?).

The church I go to was one of those bombed last Christmas Eve, but the bomb was found in time, thanks to our Muslim security staff, and defused by the mostly Muslim bomb squad.

After all the discussion on this board, nobody should be surprised to hear that an American invasion of Afghanistan (if it happens)will not be received with universal gladness. There are certainly groups here who do see it, whatever Bush may say, as an attack on Islam. Also, the US Ambassador here is not a popular figure. He has a tendency to throw his weight around in a way that may influence people but certainly does not win friends. I would not put spreading such stories past him as way of putting pressure on the govt. Political posturing is more extreme here than it is back home, but my rule of thumb has always been that the more fuss there is in advance the less that actually happens.

There is a lot of talk about sweeps from certain quarters, which basically means a large group go from hotel to hotel to search out US'ns to try and intimidate them into leaving but if anyone has threatened to take hostages, I haven't noticed it in the Jakarta Post, the main English-language paper here.

Yes, there is cause for concern, but I'm coping (and one way is a certain amount of flippancy). I'm not particularly brave so I'm not going to do anything silly, just keep the late Mr. Adams's excellent advice in mind.

Bingley

Bingley
#43418 10/02/01 01:29 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
.....just keep the late Mr. Adams's excellent advice in mind.

and what would that be Mr. Bingley, sir?

(a query from someone who has purchased Mr. Adams books just very recently and has not had the time to peruse them yet)
thanks and please hurry up, I might need that advice sooner than you think.

#43419 10/02/01 01:51 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
and what would that be Mr. Bingley, sir?

I would think that would be to make sure you that know where your towel is. Very important that.

http://uberpest.50megs.com/towel.html

#43420 10/02/01 02:01 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
While I would agree knowledge of one's towel's whereabouts is not to be undervalued, what I was thinking of was:

DON'T PANIC

Bingley

Bingley
#43421 10/02/01 02:42 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Be careful, keep a bag packed, and take care of yourself.
All the best of Irish luck sent your way.
wow

#43422 10/05/01 06:30 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
From yesterday's (Thursday's) email from the British Embassy:

>> The United States' decision to authorise the voluntary departure of their non-essential staff reflects the particular circumstances of the U.S. Embassy and American citizens who have been subject to threats and harassment recently. The British Embassy has been subject to one peaceful demonstration but we have received no reports of harassment of British citizens in Indonesia.That said, we are watching the situation carefully and updated advice to the British community is faxed or e-mailed regularly. It would be prudent to take certain precautions, described below.
>>
>> ----
You are advised to stay away from crowds. If there is an outbreak of harassment against foreign nationals then you should stay at home and go out as little as possible, especially after dark. Ensure you know the name, address and telephone number of your area Warden and make contact with him/her.

So, somebody's keeping an eye on things. Try not to worry about me.

Bingley

Bingley
#43423 10/05/01 08:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Clearly just another day in jolly Jakarta, eh, Bingley? Well, keep your pecker up. The next distraction-du-jour can't be that far away for the typical Jakartan man-about-riot, now, can it?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#43424 10/05/01 09:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, keep your p****r up.
Ee-yow---watch it, willya? I've already blushed enough for one day!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith