Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#130589 07/20/04 09:01 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Can't vouch for the truth of these, but thought I'd share this pass-around anyway:

They Run Our Country!

I have been a Travel Agent for thirty Years. This is why we're in trouble!

I had a New Hampshire Congresswoman ask for an aisle seat so that her hair wouldn't get messed up by being near the window.

I got a call from a candidate's staffer, who wanted to go to Capetown. I started to explain the length of the flight and the passport information, then she interrupted me with, "I'm not trying to make you look stupid, but Capetown is in Massachusetts." Without trying to make her look like the stupid one, I calmly explained, "Cape Cod is in Massachusetts, Capetown is in Africa." Her response ...(click).

A senior Vermont Congressman called, furious about a Florida package we did. I asked what was wrong with the vacation in Orlando. He said he was expecting an ocean-view room. I tried to explain that is not possible, since Orlando is in the middle of the state. He replied, "Don't lie to me. I looked on the map, and Florida is a very thin state!"

I got a call from a lawmaker's wife who asked, "Is it possible to see England from Canada?" I said, "No." She said, "But they look so close on the map."

An Illinois Congresswoman called last week. She needed to know how it was possible that her flight from Detroit left at 8:20 a.m. and got into Chicago at 8:33 a.m. I tried to explain that Michigan was an hour ahead of Illinois, but she could not understand the concept of time zones. Finally, I told her the plane went very fast, and she bought that!

A New York lawmaker called and asked, "Do airlines put your physical description on your bag so they know whose luggage belongs to whom?" I said, "No, why do you ask?" She replied, "Well, when I checked in with the airline, they put a tag on my luggage that said (FAT), and I'm overweight. I think that is very rude?" After putting her on hold for a minute while I 'looked into it' (I was actually laughing) I came back and explained the city code for Fresno, CA is (FAT), and that the airline was just putting a destination tag on her luggage.

A Senator's aide called to inquire about a trip package to Hawaii.
After going over all the cost info, she asked, "Would it be cheaper to fly to California and then take the train to Hawaii?"

I just got off the phone with a freshman Congressman who asked, "How do I know which plane to get on?" I asked him what exactly he meant, to which he replied, "I was told my flight number is 823, but none of these darn planes have numbers on them."

A lady Senator called and said, "I need to fly to Pepsi-Cola, FL. Do I have to get on one of those little computer planes?" I asked if she meant fly to Pensacola, FL on a commuter plane. She said, "Yeah, whatever!"

A senior Senator called and had a question about the documents he needed in order to fly to China. After a lengthy discussion about passports, I reminded him that he needed a visa. "Oh, no I don't. I've been to China many times and never had to have one of those." I double checked and sure enough, his stay required a visa. When I told him this he said, "Look, I've been to China four times and every time they have accepted my American Express!"

Now you know why Government is in the shape that it's in.

#130590 07/20/04 10:28 PM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Ain't it frightnin'!

#130591 07/20/04 10:30 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Seems pretty doubtful Jackie. Why would this one travel agent be getting call from all over the U.S.?

#130592 07/20/04 10:44 PM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I assumed that she was in Washington itself. It could easily be an exaggeration, I guess but it's funny either way.

#130593 07/21/04 08:11 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
These have been floating around the net for a good bit of time (several years I would think), and someone has edited them to put down politicians.

Personally I think it's treasonous to dis politicians as stupid. Example: Jesse Helms was smart enough to keep his mouth shut about his miscegenous offspring while running for election as a good old boy in a state known for its attitudes towards people of color. Another example: George Bush is smart enough to hmmm. Let me think here a minute. Drat. Well, maybe he was the one who couldn't find the flight number on the side of the plane.

TEd
#130594 07/21/04 12:04 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I humbly suggest that you book them all the very next train to Hawaii.

#130595 07/21/04 01:51 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
These have been floating around the net for a good bit of time (several years I would think) Thank you. , and someone has edited them to put down politicians. That makes sense. Though I bet they came from real people originally (She said, thinking that truth can be stranger than fiction.), so I still think they're funny. I wish I could find that list again of excuses sent in to an insurance company; the only one I can remember is, "The pedestrian couldn't make up his mind which way to go, so I hit him".

#130596 07/22/04 11:54 AM
F
addict
addict
F
and someone has edited them to put down politicians

Yeah, I think that's got to be it as well. The "senior Congressman from Vermont" could only be Sen. Leahy or Rep. Sanders; but they are both very intelligent men, who would never make the "thin state" reference attributed to one of them.

#130597 07/24/04 01:43 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
the very next train to Hawaii.

I had still had Hawaii plates on my car when I drove across country returning to New Hampshire.
At least a dozen times I was asked how I got the car here. Makes you wonder.

#130598 07/24/04 08:03 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And these are people who are permitted to vote...

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,353
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 524 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,550
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith