W
the[nar 70c4n9r#8
n.
5ModL < Gr < IE base *dhen3, palm of the hand, level place > DEN6
1 the palm of the hand or, sometimes, the sole of the foot
2 the bulge at the base of the thumb
adj.
of a thenar
I have only seen this used as adjective referring to thumb, or space between base of thumb and first metacarpal. Spellingbee had “opisthenar” which I never saw before.
Tiscali give opisthenar meaning ack of the hand. I have never seen it.

The spellingbee llist gives “opp;enheimer”. J. Robert Oppenheimer was principal scientist on the Manhattan Project, which developed the atom bomb. I searched to see if there were a physics unit named after him but found none.

opt - a word currenly over-used in place of “choose”.

Orchesis", derived from a Greek word referring to the art of dance, is the name of the University of Alberta modern dance club. ...I thought it might mean diseas of the male gonads.

ordnance
n.
5contr. < ORDINANCE, in restricted meaning6
1 cannon or artillery
2 all military weapons together with ammunition, combat vehicles, etc. and the equipment and supplies used in servicing these
3 military branch or unit that orders, stores, and supplies ordnance

orenda - The spelling bee list says this is a Wayandot word meaning extraordinary invisible power. Somehow it looks to me like a botched coinage from Latin to pray.

orfe - another spellingbee worthless word. A small fish”
The Ide and it's golden form, the Orfe (pictured right) are found in ponds, lakes and rivers. They have a relatively deep, somewhat flat-sided body, a rather small head and quite large eyes. The Ide is greyish blue to blackish green on it's back, silvery sides and a white belly with a deeply forked tail. It is not a native of the British Isles, being more commonplace in Europe.
The Orfe meanwhile has found it's way into the UK as a decorative fish, frequenting Carp ponds and ornamental ponds in parks, where it can often be seen cruising underneath the surface in small shoals. It's main diet being insect larvae, worms and fallen insects.

or[geat 7Cr4&at#, 3jat#8
n.
5Fr < Prov orjat < orge, barley < L hordeum < IE base *Dhrzd, barley > Ger gerste6 a syrup or beverage, orig. made from barley, flavored with almonds and orange flowers
Sounds like Latin verb = he was ;having an orgy

orhamwood - another spelling bee CWOT ( a stupid acronym for complete waste of time)
ELM, WHITE

Other Names:American Elm, Water Elm, Swamp Elm, Orhamwood

Characteristics: Straight to interlocking grain; coarse texture; light yellowish-brown color.

Oriency
O"ri*en*cy (?), n. [See Orient.] Brightness or strength of color. [R.] E. Waterhouse.
Sounds as though it might be a usefull word. In describing Portualca grandiflora
I see each morning now, I used term “saturation” to mean that the color is extra bright
.Perhaps “oriency” might convey my meaning better.

ornithopter - a model airplane that flaps its wings like a bird.

or[thot[ics 7Cr 09t4iks8
n.pl.
5ORTH(O)3 + 3OTIC + s6 [with sing. v.] the science of developing and fitting surgical devices designed to activate or supplement a weakened or atrophied limb or function
or[thot$ic
adj.
or[tho[tist 7Cr40! tist8
n.
Remember the preposterous TV show about the Bionic Man? Who could jump tall buildings, defying the laws of physics.?

ortstein

1. An indurated layer in the B horizon of Podzols in which the cementing material consists of illuviated sesquioxides and organic matter.
2. As a subgroup of Podzolic soils, Ortstein indicates a Bhfc or Bfc horizon that is strongly cemented, occurs over at least one-third of the exposure, and is at least 2.5 cm (1 inch) thick.

osmagogue - Yahoo google says no such word. Looks like it could mean something
that enhances ability to detect odors. Any takers?

osmic
adj.
designating or of chemical compounds in which osmium has a higher valence than in the corresponding osmous compounds

osmics
n.pl.
5< Gr osmc, Attic var. of odmc, odor (akin to L odor, ODOR) + 3ICS6 [with sing. v.] the science dealing with smells and the sense of smell

os·mo·scope

n : an instrument for detecting and for measuring odors .
(for detecting odors so bad you can see them? Reminds me of one of the very first jokes I ever heard. About the tough kid that got caught by the Devil, who told him he could go free, if he could think of something the Devil could not do. So the tough kid cocked up one him, and farted. He told the Devil “Chase that around a corner, strain it through a seive, and paint it green.” Allegedly the Devil conceded defeat.

WB Saunder's Logo
<< Previous A-B | C-D | E-F | G-H | I-J | K-L | M-N | O-P | Q-R | S-T | U-V | W-X | Y-Z Next >>

O
osphresi(o)- — ostertagiosis

osphresi(o)- (osphresi(o)-) [Gr. osphr[emacr]sis smell] a combining form denoting relationship to odors.

osphresiology (os·phre·si·ol·o·gy) (os²fre-ze-ol¢[schwa]-je) [osphresio- + -logy] the sum of knowledge regarding odors and the sense of smell.

osphresis (os·phre·sis) (os-fre¢sis) [Gr. osphr[emacr]sis smell] olfaction (def. 1).

osphretic (os·phret·ic) (os-fret¢ik) olfactory.

ossa (os·sa) (os¢[schwa]) [L.] plural of os2.

ossature (os·sa·ture) (os¢[schwa]-ch[schwa]r) the arrangement of bones in the body or in a part.

#99542 03/27/03 07:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Etymology: osm- + -agogue (from Late Latin -agogus promoting the expulsion of) -- more at -AGOGUE
: stimulating to the sense of smell

[W3]

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith