Print Thread
#113010 10/01/03 09:46 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
" There were more pigeons about the dreary stable-yard and out-buildings than anybody but the landlord could reckon up. The wheeling and circling flights of runts, fantails, tumblers, and pouters, were perhaps not quite consistent with the grave and sober character of the building, "
I should be very much surprised to learn that there is even one pigeon fancier among our board members. I have only once seen a "tumbler" but I still remember how it startled me. I had a room on top floor of old brick row house on Mass Ave not far from BCH. There were many pigeons to be seen, but suddenly one started doing repeated backward somersaults in flight. I had heard the name "tumbler" before, but didn't know what it meant. I still marvel that anybody would spend money on feed for them. They are born with a central nervous system defect. I'll go see if I can find a site about it.
I found a surprising number of sites about them, but no description or videos of their flight.

#113011 10/02/03 02:18 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
while i think piegeons are just a form of flying rats, i did grow up in the bronx, and for several years, i lived in a house with a pigeon fancier next door.. he kept a coop less than 6 feet from my living room window (my young son's bedroom was the room above the living room.) so i got to know more about pigeons than i want to know.

mostly they were racing pigeons, but he did have all sorts... i don't think he had tumblers, but i have seen them in the sky. there are still many roof top coops to be seen in all the boro's of NY

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (A C Bowden, wofahulicodoc), 1,258 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith