> Two groups were compared--urinalysis and maybe blood tests, too, of caffeine drinkers and water/juice drinkers. Results: both groups were pretty much equally hydrated with the water/juice people doing a bit better, but not enough to make waves.

I think caffeine promotes urine formation somewhat which would explain the differences. I don't think the way caffeine affects the body's hydration should be the major worry though, perhaps more its affect on the stomach and one's sleep. In my eyes caffeine should be classed in the same league as cocaine and amphetamines for it is a stimulant. Depending on dosage it has similar effects to the 'Class A' drugs and it is by no means less dangerous( http://www.pe2000.com/caffeine.htm
It is the perfect drug to exploit workers, keeping people awake and alert for long hours of overtime. Embedded in a long history of colonial domination and slavery it has been very profitable and does not threaten the fabric of our profit-driven society.
A bitter white alkaloid, (C8H10N4O2), mainly derived from tea or coffee, its the world's number three drug and is the number one stimulant. It is the only drug (except perhaps cigs) that has attained a socially and economically sanctioned space in the standard working day, and is even given out for free, which says a lot about its power.
Brown roasted bean water doesn't sound that appealing to most children and the bitter liquid really is an acquired taste, yet more people have to have the stuff more often than heroin. Children, I guess, just become accustomed to the double-whammy of sugar and caffeine at a young age through cola drinks before graduating to coffee or tea.
Starbucks and other such firms have made the habit of coffee intake into something close to a religous ritual, where the addictted return to the same shrine everyday for their morning 'prayer' before the day starts. Strange world.