Bean,

I agree with you that men have their own hobbies to waste their time on but still your brother's example does not invalidate my idea - it takes one counter-example to disprove a theorem but in biology one needs to have statistics and one man is just one vote For example, I know two women - Nobel prise winners in physics (incidentally, mother and daughter) but in general Nobel prise winners in physics are men.

Wordwind,

all activities that you've mentioned can be quite intellectual :
- sport trains ones memory. I know men that remember the score of all soccer games of the last season and all winners of last 20 years.
- farming
well, you know better. I find that hard labour degrades both men and women.
- hunting
trains ones attention and concentration
------

There is a place in which both men and women dwell and talk about history, science, literature and art with interest in facts and refinement of ideas
I know the name of the place! Valinor!

If there happen to be more men in that realm, then the only reason I can see for that being so is more men have been educated and have gone on after formal education to refine their education .
I don't know about States but this is not true for former Soviet Union. for example, we had roughly equal number of boys and girls in my class. Only one boy’s got a degree and approximately 10 girls. The ratio varies but roughly it is 1:1.

some of the girls exhibit great alertness to ideas, even on an elementary level.
before the puberty. after that we become more interested in clothes and boys than in ideas and facts.