Now that, my distant friends, is a scary law. I'd bet the lot of your Tower Jewels that this crass affront to free information flow everywhere was enacted while your paternalistic labour boys were in power. Right?

Well I'd rather have a license fee than only have access to commercially run corporate stations which interrupt programmes every ten minutes with endless exhortations to CONSUME CONSUME CONSUME, telling me what to think and how to live and ending every sodding programme with some asinine moral lesson as if I need to learn how to run my life and interact with society from some electronic box in the corner. I'm ever so glad of the license fee if it saves me from outrageously biased news reporting and the 'network line' and the exclusion of gay people ( unless devoid of any sexual urges and simply reduced to the modern equivalent of black minstrels),Asians, and indeed the total exclusion of anything deemed offensive to the fundamentalist Christian lobby whereas depictions of violent murder and torture are encouraged all day every day, even in kids programmes. Okay tirade over, this'll make you laugh, blind people only get a 50% reduction off the tv license.